Back Plate/wing set-up....have some questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is there any chance that we can create a dedicated "Today's Daily 'I'm looking to buy my first BP/W setup and have a few questions' Post" sub-forum?

In all the bicycle, car, watch, photography, home theater, wine, and other online communities I've frequented over the years I've never been a big "Please use the search function" fanatic, but I think I'm gonna start pushing for that with this one.

:D

Anybody care to write a good "Sticky" as A BPW primer? If be happy to do it later tonight if nobody else will take it on

Jim Lapenta seems to have something written up that he is quick to send people by PM. I have not read it. Jim?

For a new guy the BP/W seems to have a ton of options and configurations, and appears way more complex than a standard jacket. They ask because they are confused, and may feel like they don't even know what to ask to get it right. When I bought mine, I took it on faith that people on an Internet forum knew what they were talking about, so I jumped in with both feet and learned (still learning) on the fly. Generally most people are smarter than I am in that respect. :)

I agree, a sticky with a "BP/W Basics or FAQ" is probably a great idea. Give people something concise to get over that first hump. "Use the search function" may be an answer, but it's not the most welcoming one.

Jim's article on the BP/W is an excellent read on why you should use one. I have read it. I read it not as a how to build your own, but rather an argument on why the BP/W is a great choice for everyone, not just "tech". It's a great primer, but there are a lot of areas someone will likely have additional questions. Like wing choices, as the OP has.

---------- Post added May 19th, 2015 at 10:33 AM ----------

Bigeclipse,

For the weights, it is my humble opinion that you should not attach the weight to the BP/W. I am referring to dumpable weight attached to the waist belt of the plate. Instead, I use this:

DUI Weight & Trim System

For one, it makes carrying heavy lead a lot easier. For another, having weights attached to the belt on the BP/W makes it tricky to don on a boat in crowded quarters. This is my experience anyway, YMMV.

You don't have to be an A$$hole about it.

Lighten-up, Francis. Note that I said I'm NOT in favor of the "just search" approach.

Damn... the internet REALLY needs a sarcasm font.

:D

I dove a BP/wing with aluminum tanks and a drysuit for several years (sidemount now). I used a steel plate with a 14lb v-weight bolted into the centre channel on the backplate. I also used two trim pockets on the waist belt near my kidneys as tight to the backplate as I could move them and put 3 lbs in each of those. Non of the weight was ditchable but I had two independent sources of lift (wing and drysuit).

I like using the xs scuba camband pockets on the waist belt, but I wouldn't put more than 4 lbs in each. That's not a lot of weight.

To the OP:
1. plate
2. harness (standard webbing)
3. wing, try to find one that does not need a single tank adapter
4. cambands
5. camband pockets for weights (optional)

As far as stowing stuff, most of what you need to bring can easily be clipped on D rings. I have a nifty dive rite mesh pouch that I fasten to the bottom of the plate for an extra mask if I'm bringing one or a small dive light. Think of the lack of pockets as a good opportunity to re-consider what you carry on a dive.

DSS makes high quality stuff, as does halcyon, dive rite, and oxycheq. Sometimes you can get a good deal at caveadventurers.com on oxycheq set ups. If I were starting over and didn't really know what I wanted, I'd call DSS because you'll get expert advice on your set up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom