Go pro flip 3.1 macro question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Puffling

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I've been using the colour correction go pro flip filters for about a year and thinking I might add a macro as a side flip.

my question is, is it possible to use a colour filter at the same time as the macro or is it one or the other?

if it is possible is it via the flip or do you screw a round on into the macro?

No, it won't work. I have one and the lens will not go down over the filter. You can only use one or the other. Light is the answer for Macro.

Actually, you can.

You'll need a third filter ring to go between the +10Macro and the coloured filter. It probably will vignette on wider angle FOV.

Personally, I'd go with a/some lights, as with that close distance, you'd be better off and can do some neat shadow work too.

BRad

the marcomate mini is stackable... which means u can add any 55mm red filter to the marcomate..

but still.. if are taking marco.. with red filter.. the subject will be all red.. so use light

You could get a filter and screw onto the Macro Mini. I thought the OP was asking about the Flip system filters. It would be better to use lighting for the Macro IMO.

the marcomate mini is stackable... which means u can add any 55mm red filter to the marcomate..

but still.. if are taking marco.. with red filter.. the subject will be all red.. so use light

Yes the outer ring of the macromate is a threaded 55mm receiving any filter you want.

I find many filters (SRP, Backscatter, Fantasea) are fairly depth sensitive, for shallow or mid water 30-50; then another filter for deep stuff.

At proper depth, the right red filter spectrum can do wonderful things.

In my experience, the answer is "it depends." If you are shooting macro, then the light is close enough to the subject that you don't need the filter. On the other hand, if the subject is larger and a few feet away, then sometimes the red filter helps. Viewfinders are helpful in deciding, although you can also correct the color in the editing process.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom