What do I really need for what I am doing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lateralus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm going to Cozumel next week and will be doing 10 Dives. I have a GoPro 3+ with a Polar Pro Filter and want my video quality to come out right. I was wondering if lights are necessary? I really don't do stuff at a Macro level. I just like to film my dives.

I was in Cozumel in December and filmed this, I wasn't using a filter then. Depth was about 60'.

[video=vimeo;115238158]http://vimeo.com/115238158[/video]

Is a tray necessary if you want to have a more stable video?

Are lights necessary (if you have a tray) if you are diving in the day?

Getting 2 hands on the handles of a tray spaced out as far as practically possible will help stabilize the gopro.

If you are going next week, I wouldn't worry about adding lights. Lights are only good for closeup work because they diffuse so fast in water. Also if you haven't practiced with the lights you could introduce a lot of backscatter into your video that could make them worse. And the kinds of lights that cab really light up a reef are big and expensive. This little lights they sell on gopro trays are pretty weak and focused and only good for closeup stuff. The filter will help. Enjoy the dives and if the video bug really gets you, you can start collecting more equipment. I would even suggest moving away from the go-pro. There are better options with built in image stabilization and white balance adjustment that will really help your underwater videos.

Getting 2 hands on the handles of a tray spaced out as far as practically possible will help stabilize the gopro.

If you are going next week, I wouldn't worry about adding lights. Lights are only good for closeup work because they diffuse so fast in water. Also if you haven't practiced with the lights you could introduce a lot of backscatter into your video that could make them worse. And the kinds of lights that cab really light up a reef are big and expensive. This little lights they sell on gopro trays are pretty weak and focused and only good for closeup stuff. The filter will help. Enjoy the dives and if the video bug really gets you, you can start collecting more equipment. I would even suggest moving away from the go-pro. There are better options with built in image stabilization and white balance adjustment that will really help your underwater videos.

Yeh, I figured lights are a whole game on its own. Going to pass on the lights since they are expensive and for what I am looking to do it isn't necessary.

I totally agree with 00wabbit. Lights have limited use, especially with a wide angle GoPro. The red filter is the most useful tool you could use for daytime video. The only other factor you could control is the Gopro settings. You can go the full auto route or go with ProTune and RAW white balance if you want the added flexibility of adjusting your image in post.

Did you have the color correction filter on(red filter).

Did you have it on the wide setting? I usually get better detail quality in the medium setting.

Since you already have the mono pole why not learn to film with it by using both hands this will help you stabilize your shooting. Plus since you like to do selfies you will still be able to do that. All you need is a stabilizing handle for your mono pole.

Did you have the color correction filter on(red filter).

Did you have it on the wide setting? I usually get better detail quality in the medium setting.

Since you already have the mono pole why not learn to film with it by using both hands this will help you stabilize your shooting. Plus since you like to do selfies you will still be able to do that. All you need is a stabilizing handle for your mono pole.

I didn't have the red filter in that video. Now I have one.

I have it on Wide Setting. Which is the preferred setting when using the GoPro, I hear differing things.

I'll look into a stabilizing handle for the monopole.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom