Full time experienced instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you think it would be appropriate for just about any job in the scuba industry to be exempted based on those criteria? I can't imagine why this one would be.

In the U.S. Many Positions involving sports are generally exempt from age protections, and depending on facility, gender discrimination rules...

According to the job requirements Jill Heinerth cannot apply :wink:

Can Jill drive a boat? I like to take my boat in the caves, especially.

Lighten up, folks. The OP passed the info along for one of his clients. Mr. Cunningham is a travel agent and writer, not a hirer of tech instructors.

With that said, they are looking for a specific type, and they aren't going to hire a 55 year old bearded long hair fat guy. Maybe their target client is 25 year old spring breaker women. Maybe the owner of the shop is looking for some "companionship". The rest of the world isn't as wrapped up in being politically correct as we are.

I can't really ding someone for being frank, I'm Frank with everyone, to my detriment, I'm sure.

You know many people in the dive industry like to have fit, youthful instructors-especially in resort environments - maybe they have a female instructor already and need a male for the team-

but really since it's their business isn't it THEIR business?

Can Jill drive a boat? I like to take my boat in the caves, especially.

Lighten up, folks. The OP passed the info along for one of his clients. Mr. Cunningham is a travel agent and writer, not a hirer of tech instructors.

With that said, they are looking for a specific type, and they aren't going to hire a 55 year old bearded long hair fat guy. Maybe their target client is 25 year old spring breaker women. Maybe the owner of the shop is looking for some "companionship". The rest of the world isn't as wrapped up in being politically correct as we are.

I can't really ding someone for being frank, I'm Frank with everyone, to my detriment, I'm sure.

Pretty sure Jill can drive a boat :) And Bryan IS the owner of the dive operation NOT a client or friend. I don't think it is political correctness to call him out for intentionally excluding women or "old guys"...at least not in an "Official" ad. If he wants to pass the word discreetly among his contacts in the diving community that is an entirely different thing, but when you formalize an employment ad you should expect a bit of flack if it reads like it was either written in the 50's or is from a "Mad Men" script.

Pretty sure Jill can drive a boat :) And Bryan IS the owner of the dive operation NOT a client or friend. I don't think it is political correctness to call him out for intentionally excluding women or "old guys"...at least not in an "Official" ad. If he wants to pass the word discreetly among his contacts in the diving community that is an entirely different thing, but when you formalize an employment ad you should expect a bit of flack if it reads like it was either written in the 50's or is from a "Mad Men" script.

My bad, I didn't realize Bryan owned a shop.

Omission says

Exactly.

That's why the U.S. Federal government will not accept applications from anyone over age 35. Oh wait... the US Federal government IS my business, I pay for it.

Omission says

Exactly.

That's why the U.S. Federal government will not accept applications from anyone over age 35. Oh wait... the US Federal government IS my business, I pay for it.

I'm certain there must be an underlying political agenda or ax you're trying to grind here, but your statement is categorically false.

You know many people in the dive industry like to have fit, youthful instructors-especially in resort environments - maybe they have a female instructor already and need a male for the team-

My first job in the Caribbean I was told by my employer that I got the job because "they needed" a WHITE instructor "for the team".

That didn't seem right to me, and neither does this. Bigotry and prejuidice are everyone's business.

IMHO.

Isn't SB also guilty of running a sexist/age discriminatory ad? I assume that they would have deleted it if they thought it wrong. Apparently not.

Isn't SB also guilty of running a sexist/age discriminatory ad? I assume that they would have deleted it if they thought it wrong. Apparently not.

An example is???

---------- Post added May 7th, 2015 at 12:46 PM ----------

INSTRUCTOR POSITION. We are accepting applications for a full time instructor with option to buy in for the right applicant. What we are looking for is. A PADI instructor with Tech Teaching qualifications and good boat handling skills. Must be under the age of 40, male and ready to relocate to Antigua by the 1st June 2015. Hard working, in good physical condition and presentable. Marketing skills and previous Caribbean experience a bonus. email resumes to divingantigua@gmail.com

I went to their website and it looks like the owner, Brian, and his two instructors that he has now are over 40. What's up with that? Discrimination is discrimination no matter how you try to call it. I wonder if he would turn away a paying customer who is over 40 and/or female.

I am pretty sure they will get some young Studbanger fresh out of school to take the position.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom