Is a Back Plate w/ Wing really cheaper?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, you're not missing anything but just don't drink the Kool Aid. Nothing wrong with a back inflate. That's what a BP/W is. I have a back inflate and a BP/W and there's no magic bullet involved. There are some advantages and disadvantages with both

reading this thread has raised one point to me loud n clear--I need to do a dive trip to the states to buy my dive gear.
the numbers you guys are throwing around are bringing tears to my eyes

Because a back inflate gives you very similar buoyancy characteristics...(to a BP/W...)

No it does not. Please if you're going to start the millionth thread on this topic at least make an attempt to have learned something from some of the previous thousands of threads....

Anyhow, I suspect you meant 'trim characteristics' not 'buoyancy characteristics' because the latter makes no sense at all. So, assuming you meant trim, you should try to understand that trim is about weight distribution, not really bladder location or wing shape. Unless you're horribly overweighted, you shouldn't be diving with much air in the wing anyways. Deep with a full tank in very cold water with a thick wetsuit is somewhat of an exception, but those are rare dives. If you're in water cold enough to need 14mm of neoprene, you're not going to spend much time at enough depth to compress it way down (losing most of its buoyancy) because you'll freeze your ass off. With a partially inflated wing, the air bubble is going to the highest point no matter what the wing is shaped like.

So, it's the weight distribution that's the big difference. With a backplate you get 6 lbs of ballast right up on your back spread out between your lungs and the wing, the two primary sources of buoyancy. That's what really makes it feel different in the water.

Last edited:
I don't think you can look a the question as a matter of is it cheaper to first obtain. One needs to look at is what it costs to upgrade/change. so a bc and a bpw may be the same price. Consider putting on several fat pounds. you don't have to buy a new rig just a new harness for your larger size. You don't outgrow the back plate or wing just the harness.

The good thing about the conventional jacket bc is that you cannot really mess around with it.
BP/W is the complete opposite! I have three plates, three harness, two wings etc etc.
Finally certain BP/W brand is really really expensive even in its most basic form.

Last edited:
Finally certain BP/W brand is really really expensive even in its most basic form.
Gee, I wonder what particular brand you might be referring to.

Last edited:
If you don't mind Hollis, their wings have been in the sub $100 price range on diveaddicts.com for over a year now. I've bought a few. Hollis X Series Wing- 55 lb Single Bladder : Dive Addicts Inc : Hollis...
A reasonably priced wing like that Hollis, $60 for everything else, you're all set for under $200.

Use google, those aren't the only reasonably priced pieces of bp/w gear for sale.

---------- Post added May 6th, 2015 at 03:11 PM ----------

I almost forgot.. you'll need to drop another $20 for a little webbing and some buckles to attach the tank. I think the total is still well under $200

Last edited:
reading this thread has raised one point to me loud n clear--I need to do a dive trip to the states to buy my dive gear.
the numbers you guys are throwing around are bringing tears to my eyes

I have met many Europeans and Canadians that do the same. Also bring empty suitcases so you can buy clothes. The savings help pay for the trip.

---------- Post added May 6th, 2015 at 11:53 AM ----------

If you don't mind Hollis, their wings have been in the sub $100 price range on diveaddicts.com for over a year now. I've bought a few. Hollis X Series Wing- 55 lb Single Bladder : Dive Addicts Inc : Hollis...
A reasonably priced wing like that Hollis, $60 for everything else, you're all set for under $200.

The Hollis wings are doubles wings. They would not be good for singles diving.

---------- Post added May 6th, 2015 at 12:09 PM ----------

Looking at several websites including the Halcyon website, Scuba.com, Leisurepro, and Scubatoys (the last three being actual online sites I have purchased gear) I found that when you add up the components it can get quite expensive. I found a harness system for $60, a pack plate for about $71 but most were at least $100 or more, and a wing for $300. All total it came to about $431. The average cost I would say for a back plate with wing would more likely run around $580 which would be $130 for the harness, $150 for the back plate, and $300 for the wing. And then I would also have to use a weight belt.

I found an Aqualung Zuma travel BC on sale for $299. I also found a Dive Rite travel back plate with harness on sale for $399. So the back plate with wing set up was still $100 more than an off the shelf back inflate BC.

When items are being discontinued they are usually sold at a large discount. You really need to compare regular prices of items of comparable quality. Halcyon, Scubapro, Xdeep, and some others sell at a premium price. Other brands such as Dive Rite, Hollis, DRIS, HOG, Oxycheq and some others sell at a more reasonable price. Usually you get a much better deal purchasing a complete package. I have seen Dixie Divers sell a complete BP/W package on eBay for around $250.

Gee, I wonder what particular brand you might be referring to.
H
I use Dive Rite or OMS.

---------- Post added May 7th, 2015 at 09:12 AM ----------

I have met many Europeans and Canadians that do the same. Also bring empty suitcases so you can buy clothes. The savings help pay for the trip.
No such problem here. I just had them shipped over to HK because there is no duty to be paid on scuba equipment or nearly anything.
DGX even offer free shipment by UPS if the order is over US$250.00(used to be $500.00).

B/PW was cheaper to start but once I started adding longer inflator hoses to Wing, second harness, weight pockets, etc There were no differences in cost and some redundant expenses. I am now working on perfecting my trim. I have a Zeagle Ranger that is excellent. I can drop down to any depth and stop on a dime with correct trim with the Zeagle. I am finding with B/PW center of gravity shifts when I do photography and forces me to carry more weight as a counterbalance. It is also more difficult to do a clean remove and replace BCD (when teaching) due to the crotch strap and shoulder straps not being adjustable. Also no pockets. I am always picking up trash, bags, and extra gear and weights when diving. IMO Jury is still out. I now have some once used accessories I need to sell due to my fine tuning.
-dp

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom