United baggage rules

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As far as insurance, I bought a Blue Ribbon Bag policy. Ten dollars buys you $2k of coverage, no receipts or proof of value required. https://www.blueribbonbags.com/

I have no affiliation with them, and never have had a claim with them.. YMMV.

Just dont tell them it is dive gear. :) I pack all my gear in a plain suitcase (lightest possible) now and keep it under 50 lbs. No problemos!

+1 dive gear in a wheeled duffle with other clothes. Under 50# as 1st and only checked bag = NO additional fee.

We flew Alaska last year to Cancun. Wanted to take some tanks down so read their policy. It sounded like United's, I.E. it made no sense. I called and got a lady who told me the tanks would be included with a separate bag of scuba gear at no extra charge if neither was over 50 lb or oversize. I wanted that in writing so asked for an email. Never got that. Called again. Got another person who said the tank would be charged separately and would not be included with the bag of scuba gear. Finally got an email from the first lady with a copy of Alaska's policies which made no sense. Called her and she was kind of snarky about me not being able to read the policy. Told her I had an opposing opinion from a 2nd agent. When it was all said and done I arrived at the gate not knowing what they were going to charge me and the nice lady interpreted the policy in the way that most benefited me and I didn't pay for a bag that was not scuba gear. The moral of this story? It depends on how the people at the gate feel that day.

An empty dive tank or up to three rebreather tanks will not be included in determining the baggage allowance and will be subject to a service charge of $150 USD/CAD (each way) for travel between the U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. A service charge of $200 USD/CAD (each way) applies for all other travel.​

So a couple of rebreather tanks do not count against your baggage or weight limit. Except that they will cost you $150-$200, far more than the cost of an extra bag. So if you're going to carry a pony bottle, it sounds like they will remove it from your checked bag and charge you for it separately. Super.​

Good luck with your insurance policy with damaged bags.

My bag had the end ripped out of it. Lost my lifeline radio, so I put in a claim. To date (more than a month ago) have heard nothing from them at all. Emailed with no response. I am about to contact the Australian Airlines Ombudsman to get some action.

So a couple of rebreather tanks do not count against your baggage or weight limit. Except that they will cost you $150-$200, far more than the cost of an extra bag. So if you're going to carry a pony bottle, it sounds like they will remove it from your checked bag and charge you for it separately. Super.[/INDENT]
I've taken my pony on many trips, various airlines, no problems. The TSA inspection regarding the pony has changed a few times, but the airline never knows it's in there.

I just few over 6800 miles on United (one way) with 140lbs of diver gear in two bags....my bags were two aviator kit bags and it cost nothing extra to fly with them. I simply told the ticket counter agent it was dive gear and that was it. No tanks though, they require you to empty them and remove the valves, it's not that important for me to use my own tanks around the world anyways.

As others have suggested, I wold put things like your computer and such in your carry ons... never know how your gear will be treated by than airlines.

Finally, it does not really matter what you have in the bag...unless it's obviously not dive gear, the airline isn't going to open it up an inspect it unless you give them cause, TSA might, but they don't care what it is in it (one of my bags was opened on the way back). Even if the airline or TSA did care, they most likely have no idea what is legit dive gear or not.

I started the thread "wet gear and overweight charges" I printed the letter from United and take it with me when I check in. The people behind the desk still have no clue, they send us to the"odd bags" check in. We show them the letter?????. This time they opened the bag and said no problem. We are here right now for a month, so we each have 2 wetsuits, masks etc. If you can't print the letter, send me a pm with your email and I will forward itCheryl

I started the thread "wet gear and overweight charges" I printed the letter from United and take it with me when I check in. The people behind the desk still have no clue, they send us to the"odd bags" check in. We show them the letter?????. This time they opened the bag and said no problem. We are here right now for a month, so we each have 2 wetsuits, masks etc. If you can't print the letter, send me a pm with your email and I will forward itCheryl
Thanks, Cheryl. I emailed the CEO of United yesterday and I actually got a prompt reply from one of his minions. A dive bag that is correctly dimensioned can weigh up to 99.9lbs, and my rolling Igloo cooler will be recognized as a "dive bag". I will, of course, print out the email thread and take it with me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom