Certification Needed For pure O2????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Helter Skelter

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
What cert would I need to carry a O2 pony bottle and more importantly Be able to get it filled? I read where some divers breath O2 at the safety stops and they swear by it. And no not just deco divers mentioned this. although deco diving is something I want more info on.

Thanks
Scott

Last edited:
Adv Nitrox and or Deco Procedures

Advanced nitrox in some places... Some will say that nitrox is sufficient. (but not many of them)

You will need some technical training, and the exact course depends upon the agency. For some (like TDI) it is advanced nitrox/decompression procedures, as others have already mentioned. For PADI, it is Tec 45, the second technical certification in their sequence.

What cert would I need to carry a O2 pony bottle and more importantly Be able to get it filled? I read where some divers breath O2 at the safety stops and they swear by it. And no not just deco divers mentioned this. although deco diving is something I want more info on.

Helter Skelter,

If you search "explosion" in the Accidents forum, you'll see several threads that should be of interest to anyone considering working with scuba cylinders containing pure oxygen. This one (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ac...10-o2-tank-explosion.html?highlight=explosion) and another one involving a pickup truck, shaped my thinking about whether I want to have oxygen scuba cylinders around if they're not absolutely necessary.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

Advanced NitrOx & Deco Procedures is a great class. Cylinder care is always important, but even more so when you use O2.

You don't need Deco Procedures unless you are doing deco diving. Nitrox is good for up to 40%, Advanced nitrox for over 40%.

However, with that said, I can't see a reason you really need it.

I think one of the reasons to require a certification is to make sure that the diver has enough control over buoyancy and task loading to keep a stable position at 20 feet with that O2 bottle, and not risk corking to the surface or exceeding the CNS limits. It may also be tempting to go into deco without proper training, knowing that one can get away doing just a few minutes on O2.

You don't need Deco Procedures unless you are doing deco diving. Nitrox is good for up to 40%, Advanced nitrox for over 40%.

I have never taught the courses in any way other than together as if they were one course. There is a good reason for it, at least with TDI. If you just take the Advanced Nitrox course, you are not taught the skill of using a separate deco bottle, which is what the OP wants to do. My understanding is that the reason for it is to allow the class to be taught separately for recreational rebreathers. (I could be wrong on that.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom