Drysuit Zippers....Saaaaay what? Which one????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive Right In Scuba

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Great question, and I'm sorry I don't get here too much lately. You guys are keeping me too busy and our dive boats are anxious to get back in the water!

So, I get alot of emails, live chats, and saw a recent post here about which zipper to get. So, I figure I will drop a little bit of our experience and knowledge on the subject. MODS if you feel this is a sales pitch, or someone complains, please don't kill the thread. Just move it to our own forum. I feel it's more relevant here in Exposure. I would link to other sites, but not many people sell these or advertise them were we could link to a competitor to keep it fair.

Quick background, We serviced over 900 suits last year, so we have a pretty big repair department for drysuits. 106 last month. We do a LOT of repairs, and zips! Couple that with all the DIY people as well, and I think it's safe to say we might do more zippers than most and have seen almost every issue you can imagine with them.

So, this is what we have seen on HUNDREDS of YKK vs Tizips in the field.

Let's start with YKK. Now, Ykk no longer only does Metal Zips, they also have Plastic. So, when discussing, we can't just assume when someone says YKK, they are talking metal anymore.

YKK Metal - So, these are the longest standing zips in the field. Hands down, they take a beating and go. We continually see zips 10+ years old functioning perfectly. Now, a few years back, YKK quality has dropped a little. The biggest failure is that the material delaminates near the end of the zipper and teeth area. Is this every zip? Absolutely NOT. But, it's the most common. The other is missing teeth. These little brass boogers can get stuck or fly off, not too common though. What is more common is that you will drop a tank on it, slam it in your car door, or step on it. The biggest problem is it's never laying flat when that happens. Meaning you just Sandwiched that zip...and there it goes instantly trashed. That metal that is really durable, also has a pretty big weakness. You can't bend it or fold it too much or you will ruin it. That is an extreme case, but it happens and often. These zips are pretty leak proof when installed properly, unless the odd chance it delams (about 5 in 1000). So, if you don't wax it, it's NOT going to leak. It's just not going to slide that easy, not that they do anyway compared to plastic, but it will be a tougher pull. Easy fix, wax it every 5-10 dives or when it starts to be a tough pull. Waxing too much will cause it to also pull slow though. So, take a soft brush tooth brush (NEVER METAL), and some acetone or even water, and clean it every 50 dives or when it is all gunked up from the wax. Typically if this delams, it will be after 3 years or a couple hundred dives. IF it's going to delam

YKK Plastic - Great alternative to metal. It's much more flexible and closes/ opens with little effort. These have a Urethane zipper surround, so they can be tricker to install. Not everyone has the proper glues needed to make these work on the different suit fabrics. These are the newest of the plastic, and we only have about 50 in the field. Sweet zipper, with no issues so far. Even though it's plastic, it's still really durable. The biggest benefit is the biggest con of the metal. This is much more flexible, so if it gets a tank dropped on it, or slammed in a door, the zipper won't necessarily be instantly ruined. This one will typically only be ruined if one of the teeth breaks (never seen it). If it's folded, the teeth will usually just separate, and a quick zip pull fixes it. Just don't break a tooth! Again, these can be a little trickier for the DIY, only because of different glues. Some shops don't like working on Urethane drysuits in general, and have no such luck with the plastic zippers as they don't understand the glues needed for the different suit types. Some manufacturers use this zipper exclusively on their suits, and haven't reported any issues.

Ti Zip - The Original, the OG of the Plastic Zips! Early Ti Zips had some pretty big failures and leaks. This caused a deserved bad name for the TIZip. They have made a few different versions, and some pretty big improvements. That lead to the Masterseal, which is the one in the link and their most popular. Bare has been using it exclusively for a few years, which led others to also follow that lead. Flexible, durable, and needs a little lube every 5-10 dives on the docking end of the zipper. A couple drops of the supplied lube, and you are dry. Forget, and your friends will think you peed your pants if you go too deep (around 60ft) DON'T WAX A PLASTIC ZIPPER!
Now, we have about 800 of these in the field, and have only had about 5 issues. So, yes, issues, but not wide spread or anything worse than metal. Nothing big enough to say this is a bad zipper by any means. What we have seen is a little delamination near the teeth. This is easier seen than the YKK because once it starts, it continues. Metal can be smaller and harder to see. Any of these have been replaced by us under warranty (ones we sold or installed). So, really nothing to worry about. Pretty similar to the YKK above, but we haven't seen a delam issue in YKK plastic yet...but, there are a lot less in the field. If this is going to delam, it happens under 20 dives....IF

PHEW, my clariton D is wearing off, stupid allergies! So, if I didn't bore you yet. What did we learn? Plastic is by far better :) I really don't intend to sway you one way or another, I have no agenda here. We offer both, and the choice is yours. In my opinion, and experience betweehn them.... the PROs far out weigh the CONs and plastic wins hands down. I could get any zip on my suits, and I will only do plastic in the future. If you want to send your suit for a new zip, we can take care of that, and there are LOTS of other drysuit repair shops also. Just make sure you ask how many they have installed on your suit type. If you decide to DIY, don't hesitate to contact us for advice on your exact suit to make sure you can have a dry dive after the install.

I hope this helps, and or spurs more questions or comments on this subject. Bring on the questions if you have them!

Nice write up, Mike. I like good old metal YKK for my back zip suits, but they are too heavy and inflexible for front zips. I haven't been convinced yet about the Ti Zip since I'm relatively new to them, but so far no problems. I am certainly excited about the possibilities of the YKK plastic. It might be the best of both worlds. I will try that on my next change. I have 5 drysuits, so there is always some repair going on. Well, I only have 4 right now............ (hint, hint)

Nice information, and much better than the pure anecdote of polling one's diving friends.

I've been extremely happy with the TiZip on my Santi. Two years now, and it looks new and is still easy to pull. Of course, it took me four years to wear out the metal zipper on my Fusion, so I can't say the plastic is more durable . . . yet.

For anybody considering DIY zipper replacement, though, there's a sentence in Mike's writeup that's critical: Not all adhesives work on urethane, and ones that will stick to urethane won't always stick to the OTHER half of the repair. Be sure to get the right glue, or you are going to be very frustrated (says the former owner of a urethane suit).

Does the YKK Plastic fit on the Fusion suit? I know that the Ti Zip doesn't

Does the YKK Plastic fit on the Fusion suit? I know that the Ti Zip doesn't

Nope, on Fusion, you are stuck with Metal. With how they do the bend in the zipper, a plastic won't work. The zipper pull will wear thru the urethane and create a wear hole.

...Again, these can be a little trickier for the DIY, only because of different glues. Some shops don't like working on Urethane drysuits in general, and have no such luck with the plastic zippers as they don't understand the glues needed for the different suit types. Some manufacturers use this zipper exclusively on their suits, and haven't reported any issues.

Thanks! Can you elaborate on this? Are you saying Urethane specifically, or are you using Urethane as a general term for laminate suits? It's my understanding that laminate suits (almost) always have an "outer" fabric (such as nylon or cordura) which is then glued to a waterproof material layer (usually urethane or butyl rubber) and finally, if it is a trilaminate suit, it will have an inner layer (typically nylon I think?). Urethane tends to feel "plasticy" and "non-porous", and as such I'd imagine it would be tricky w. adhesives. What glues do you recommend for Urethane? What type of plastic is the TiZip that allows it to work "better" w. adhesives?

Thanks! Can you elaborate on this? Are you saying Urethane specifically, or are you using Urethane as a general term for laminate suits? It's my understanding that laminate suits (almost) always have an "outer" fabric (such as nylon or cordura) which is then glued to a waterproof material layer (usually urethane or butyl rubber) and finally, if it is a trilaminate suit, it will have an inner layer (typically nylon I think?). Urethane tends to feel "plasticy" and "non-porous", and as such I'd imagine it would be tricky w. adhesives. What glues do you recommend for Urethane? What type of plastic is the TiZip that allows it to work "better" w. adhesives?

I believe he was talking about the zipper, not the suits, I could be wrong though.
Read the beginning of the sentence...

YKK Plastic - Great alternative to metal. It's much more flexible and closes/ opens with little effort. These have a Urethane zipper surround, so they can be tricker to install.

I got great service from DRIS on my zipper replacement.

I was one of the 5 of the Ti-Zip that that delaminated and they went above and beyond on fixing the issue for me.
The second Ti-Zip is doing great in the suit -- I like the Ti-Zip much better then the older metal zippers.

5 star-highly recommended!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom