Is a Back Plate w/ Wing really cheaper?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not sure anybody has ever tried to sell the backplate concept as being the cheapest way to rig yourself for scuba. I'm certain that many of us have commented that it is not the most expensive, however. And as already pointed out above, in the LONG run, a backplate and wing will be cheaper, simply because you don't have to replace it all if one component fails.

But when you compare prices, you have to compare total functionality. If you buy a weight integrated BC, you have a place to put your weights. For a BP/W, you need a weight belt, or weight pockets; that's an extra cost. A BC may have storage for small items, but a BP/W requires pocket shorts or pockets on your exposure protection, which may be an extra cost, depending on what exposure protection you are using (as many dry suits come with one or more pockets). In the end, it's unlikely you are going to conclude that a BP/W is the cheapest option out there, even if you go bottom-shopping for the components.

But I don't know about anybody else, but when I participate in an activity I do for fun, I want to be comfortable, and I want the equipment I use to work as intended and as I envisioned when I bought it. I don't want to fuss with something, and I don't want to buy something and then find I'm having to compensate for poor design. I like my backplate and wing setups because they are adjusted to fit me, so they fit me every day. They put my ballast where it belongs. Dual cambands make for better tank security. The whole thing disassembles for packing and travel, and reassembles in minutes. All the components except the wing itself are easily sourced, serviced, or replaced by ME. It's efficient and it works, and it didn't cost any MORE than doing something else. That's plenty good enough.

Sorry, I can't figure out what your opinion is about BP/Ws based on this.

Sorry - I rambled - I don't agree with this statement - "if the OP got into diving with the objective of saving as much money as possible he/she may have chosen the wrong hobby."

I believe you can dive and save money...

Sorry - I rambled - I don't agree with this statement - "if the OP got into diving with the objective of saving as much money as possible he/she may have chosen the wrong hobby."

I believe you can dive and save money...

Yup, I agree with you. But I still don't know what your opinion is regarding the OP!

:D

BP/W can be a lot cheaper if you can find good deals on ebay. I picked a used aluminum plate for $25 and a new Dive Rite Travel EXP wing for $100. I only needed to add the webbing and hardware for a few bucks.

used? and do stuff yourself? :fear:

you are going to.........

I would say in terms of absolute cost number, a conventional BCD and bp/w are compatible, meaning you can find a low end BCD and entry level bp/w at compatible cost, and you can also find high end BCD and high end bp/w at compatible cost. OP's numbers in the original post are NOT apple to apple number.

In term of over cost, it depends on what type of diver you are. If you are a vacation diver, or an occasional diver, you may save a little money with a conventional BCD. If dive a lot, and plan to advance into tec or cave, then you will save more money by starting with bp/w because bp, harness are reuseable. Conventional BCDs are usually not scalable.

Have the above said, bp/w is not for everyone. I have a close friend, whom money isn't a issue for him. He has been using Zeagle Ranger for years and love it. He bought Halcyon Infiniti last year. After a few month of diving it, he went back to Zeagle with some good reasons. If you like your BCD, you don't need to justify it. If you like bp/w, you don't need to justify either.

My wife had a traditional vest, she liked it, after 400+ dives it is less than sea worthy, my bladder on my BP/W also wore out in that time and for 200 I replaced it. had I not found a deal at www.scubatoys.com for new vest BC at $175, then the BP/W would have been the price winner.

The bladder on a wing is easier to replace then a jacket even if you can no longer buy a manufacturer replacement bladder one of simulator size or larger will work fine.

I look at cost a little different depending on how much you dive the initial cost of your BC or BP/W is insignificant for example I have a back inflate BC that I have 300 dives on and it's still going strong I paid $425 for it so it has cost me $1.42 per dive so far and that cost goes with every dive. I also have a BP/W that I dive and for what I paid for the set up and the number of dives I have on it right now it is costing me $6.25 per dive still cheaper than Starbucks! I like both set ups for different reasons and have no problem with trim or my buoyancy in either. So my point is get what you want and what is comfortable to you but look at the quality of the product cheap may cost you more in the long run either way.

I'm obviously in the minority here, I had a SS B/PW and really did not like like it. (It was properly fit) It was no where near as comfortable as my Zeagle Teckpack ( a lot like the Transpak) Both of them are adjustable and danglies can be tamed without that much effort. You can use doubles without a plate, easily. It surprises me how many people go on about the continuous weave harness, then say something like "..but with my shoulder...." and justify shoulder buckles to ease adjustment. Proper trim can be achieved with any BCD, the problem is most people want a gear solution to a performance problem. You need to dive your gear and figure out what works for you and your diving. The truth is by the time you get into tech diving you may want to sidemount and decide to go with a dedicated sidemount BCD which might mean the plate isn't going to be compatible anyway. Might be but might not also. The replacement/modular issue is a bit valid on one hand but may be a solution in search of a problem. One of my Zeagles is over 10 years old, and the other is almost that old, I take care of my gear and both are as serviceable as the day they were bought, one with well over 1000 dives and the other at least several hundred ( a lot of these using double 104s and 85s) Maybe a bit faded but that is all. I've added pockets to my Teckpak and they are built in on the other BCD. They are fine and very useful for what I need and yes in a horizontal trim I can use the pockets. Again learn your gear.
For me the comfort of the back inflate and lack of advantages for the plate made the back inflates a better option. Plates are heavier for travel, lack of comfort on me, having to reconfigure when going from single to doubles. Even cost wise as when you need to get a wing for doubles will probably cost you as much or more than a good quality travel BCD. I've read where some say plates hold their value better, but in my area I've not found that to be the case here, and since the market for them is so much smaller it takes a lot longer to sell if you go that route. I'm not trying to sell you on one or the other, try different BCDs and get what works for YOU. Remember gear solutions to performance problems are usually not the best answer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom