New Diver - First Dry Suit - Price Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CruJones

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So I'm a relatively new diver, got OW last summer, did AOW in the Fall in Mexico, and have plans to do a bunch of things this year, Deep, Wreck, etc., maybe Rescue as well.

Since I'm in a Cold Water region, it seems to make sense to get a Dry Suit, if I plan on diving anywhere nearby. And due to my size, 6'6"/280lbs/size 15 feet, MTM is probably my best choice (I should fit a Whites/AL Fusion 4XLplus, and maybe a couple others might have stock that fits). I think I'm at the point where I'm looking at Santi or USIA.

So, given my limited experience at this point, would it be worth it to shell out twice as much for a Santi or just go with the USIA for my first suit. Am I going to notice the difference having never worn a Dry Suit before and is a beginner likely to be in situations where a more durable suit is a necessity?

Get whites fusion, for a first suit it will be easy to get used to since gas bubble is barely there to manage, i dove mine past winter while ice diving, worked great with with right underwear

While you didn't mention your budget, you referenced paying 2X for a higher quality suit so I'll presume for the moment that you're not sitting on the fence about spending a good chuck of change. Given cold water conditions, zebra mussels and suit eating metal on a number of our fresh water wrecks, you'll probably want to invest in something that you are not going to look back on in 2 years and ask yourself sheepishly why you didn't spend a bit more on a really durable suit. If you have 20+ years of diving ahead of you, I would suggest looking at a custom DUI, or the Santi for that matter. You won't regret it. While there is a valid argument to be made about how much to spend on your "first suit", I'd rather get 10 years out of the first one than having to buy a new one after 5. Good luck.

There are a lot of choices. I have a DUI custom drysuit that was made to my specific measurements and I like it a lot. I have recently started using a ScubaPro EverDry4 and there is a lot I like about it (the back zipper not being one of them). The DUI requires undergarments but can truly be used in all temperatures. I wear the ScubaPro EverDry4 with only my underwear ( it fits like a wetsuit) and I am easily comfortable for three 30 to 45 minute dives in 45 to 55 degree water.

You might want to consider going to a DUI demo event. There will be one in Alexandria Bay later this year. According to Google Maps, that about 3 hrs and 45 mins from you.

The nice thing about the demo tours is that you can dry different suits on, different underwear, get some basic lessons on how to dive a drysuit and actually try it out on as many dives as you want over the weekend.

USIA would be a good one to look into as they are custom made at the manufacturer in Oregon and infinitely customizable. They have drysuits ranging from the "starter" style to the ultra high end and everything in between.

I used a bare xgen form many years with good results, inexpensive, held up extremely well. I have recommended and do continue to recommend it as an entry level suit.

When it finally gave up the ghost, I ordered a custom fit DUI shoulder zip (saves several 100 dollars over front zip but requires a buddy to zip you in).

Price was not that much different from comparable BARE suit. I really like that custom fit. Just a little more room where I need it. Like you, given my size the off-the-rack suits came close but not quite what I needed. My local dealer worked with me and gave me a fair price for the DUI, with a few added extras.

Call DRIS they had some killer deals on the Fusion suits from DEMA.

Back
Top Bottom