GoPro filters - Name brand vs. Off Brand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Avoid Chinese Red Filters. They are way too red. You will get reddish photos and reddish videos, impossible to correct. Go with the Go Pro filters.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 357
We really like the Backscatter (FLIP 3.1) ones:

Backscatter :: Underwater video :: compact video :: parts & accessories :: filters

I feel like their shallow and dive ones work really well. Its also nice being able to switch back and forth and put a macro or a plus 10 on there later with or without a filter. We have been really happy. there are some videos out there that show the difference and it really is worth buying a filter!

HI diverjen - I am looking to move from an old still camera to a GoPro. Backscatter has been on my list for filters and such for a while and I have found many people liking them. Do you use a light with you GoPro or just the filters? I am torn on the light option. thanks!

SRP sells top quality products. Their benefit is the clip on clip off naked SO machined mount. with a 55mm threaded insert. Their SRP tray is second to none for manufacturing aluminum quality and ability to brake down for compact travel.

A backscatter macromate, mounted to a SRP naked clip mount, also then allows a +10, or then a red filter, all for clip on/off............backscatters whole flip system gets pretty expensive all said and done.

buy it once, buy it right.

SRP

HI diverjen - I am looking to move from an old still camera to a GoPro. Backscatter has been on my list for filters and such for a while and I have found many people liking them. Do you use a light with you GoPro or just the filters? I am torn on the light option. thanks!

I believe the breakdown is like this:

- Use good quality filters (Backscatter/SRP) and little to no lighting

OR

- invest in really good quality lighting (I'm talking real $$ here) and ditch the filters

I spent $160 on the Backscatter system will all of the attachments and adapters because I'd rather spend future funds on more dive gear rather than lights.

Sorry Sandy, I missed this until this morning. For the wide angle shots, just use the filter and color correct post processing, because even twin sola 2000s (what we have now) are not enough to light up the whole wide frame during the day. When using closer up shots lights+filter look the best IMHO. For the macro stuff you can get away with just the lights and the macro or +10 lens, but backscatter does now sell round insert filters for these lenses which we have bought but not tested with and without lights anywhere other than the pool. We are headed to the PI on Monday and can experiment and have better feed back then.

Honestly without the lights but with the filters you can get really great stuff. For the closer up stuff I do prefer light + filter and for macro I am still fiddling, so I don't have a solid opinion yet. In terms of saving money, you can get really nice stuff with just the back scatter filters. You can always add a light later. However, the lights do help when your budget allows. I also think for video it doesn't have to be an either/or thing, but I am still fiddling as I say.

Thanks for those replies!!! Very helpful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added April 25th, 2015 at 08:00 AM ----------

now with a thorough read, I found a single light and filter set on backscatter that would be about my max investment right now. would a single 700 lumen light be enough for macro video? I really like the small size of this set up as well.

Backscatter :: Underwater video :: package deals

Any thoughts on this rig? thanks!

---------- Post added April 25th, 2015 at 08:01 AM ----------

sorry to double down, this is also a consideration.

SRP Tray and Light Bundle

Hi guys I am using Formatt Hittech filters
[video=youtube;P49G9btqgh4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P49G9btqgh4[/video]

https://www.formatt-hitech.com/en/products/Dive-Kit~167.html

But there is one problem you have to screw filter onto your Gopro Housing that means that you have to do this before dive - and in most cases you get air bubbles (between filter and housing lens) that means that you have to unscrew this underwater which is very tricky to say at least.
But I am happy with the results.

I am going to post some comparison test Polar Pro vs Formatt hittech

The above still looks a bit too blue (yes im aware of the depth of the dive site in question etc).

We see a LOT of gopros here and just about all combination of filters and there IS a huge variation both in physical and optical quality of them.
Some of the El Cheapo ones are simply the wrong tint - they put too much red, too much magenta or similar in, theres a huge variability that even post processing can't do anything about. One we have here in particular is completely unusable where the image is just a hideous purple even at 20-30m depth and completely uncorrectable.

I had a polar pro to start with - it lasted 1 dive then got lost rolling in - the coloured filter bit itself fell out of the holder somewhere and all i had left is the frame. A friend of mine had an identical issue 2 days later and i know of others. Not much point tying the frame on if the middle falls out...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom