Are The Philippines really so polluted?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike3243

New
Reaction score
I have dual impressions about the Philippines. After having watched and read about rivers full of garbage, piles of trash everywhere, terrible traffic, air filled with toxic smoke, mercury and other poisonous contamination of water and soil I was about to change my mind about going there. On the other hand there are images of beautiful nature, marine life and lots of tourists. So its kind of a place of contrast. Are those claims true or exaggerated? For example with drinking water, can I drink from a spring or should I spend money on bottled water? Another question of concern for me is typhoons; are there islands which are safer than others? I need to form an objective opinion. Your thoughts are welcome.

The water may be "technically" not polluted, however different areas contain different bacteria. When we drink water continually in one area our gut gets acclimatised to the bacteria and thus we do not become sick. However move from one area to another (and thus introduce different bacteria) and we may become very ill.

A good example of this is to travel from Cairns to the tip of Australia. All the same country, however if you drink from different streams on the way up without boiling the water (or carrying water) you will get sick (Bali Belly). Its all the same country and the water there is not polluted, but it will make you ill.

Unless it specifically says that the water is to world standard when I travel I only use bottled water.

Its nothing about pollution. That's a different issue.

---------- Post added April 22nd, 2015 at 10:32 AM ----------

Its the luck of the draw, regarding typhoons. Go during the better weather parts of the year. This doesn't mean you wont get a storm or typhoon, just that its less likely.

First visited this country back in 1993 and had never suffered any illness because of dirty water/pollution.
1. I won't drink the tap water but would not hestitate to use it to brush my teeth and for shower.
2. Pollution is more or less limited to Manila and Cebu City.
3. As for the typhoon, generally Dec to Mar is the off season. But this year there was a super typhoon hitting Micronesia and luckily it had weaken considerably when eventually arrived at Philippines just before Easter.

When I first moved to the Philippines (Puerto Galera area) I only drank filtered water, but didn't have a problem brushing my teeth with tap water. I live at the tippy top of a mountain now and drink straight from the tap. Haven't had a problem for over a year. With that being said, I did get sick from drinking iced tea that was made with local water from town. Your best bet is to stick with filtered water. Better to be safe than sorry, right?

As for pollution, there does seem to be a lack of consideration when it comes to keeping areas clean from trash. I don't know how many times I've seen people unwrap something to eat then throw the trash on the ground or on the beach. Littering is something that needs to be addressed here.

Dear Mike3243,

If I may say, “pollution” in the main cities of Manila (Metro Manila includes several municipalities like Pasig, Quezon, Makati, Manila, Pasay, etc) and Cebu it is a reality, although less than in Beijing or Shanghai. In the rest of the country you will enjoy fresh air almost everywhere you go and it’s safer to go around here than any European or American major city.

I would suggest that unless you live here and get used to the local water, better drink bottled, boiled or distilled (treated) water.

Typhoons could hit any island in the Philippines, but Luzon is more prone to typhoons and theoretically you may have less chances in the center (Visayas), west (Palawan) and south (Mindanao), but weather is changing and it can affect any of them, specially during the rainy season (July to October inclusive and sometimes extended till December). However, being here for over 22 years I have safely passed more than 350 typhoons with no major real problems. They can be monitored several days before arriving and one can take actions to minimize the effects.

Philippines is one of the nicest places in the planet, do not miss it just for these “minor” issues which you can mostly foresee or avoid.

Thanks and warmest regards

The standard for garbage collection and control of sewage effluent is NEVER the same outside of the developed West. Yes, we saw garbage, and streams running through towns that I would neither drink from nor bathe in. But outside of the urban areas, the countryside was pretty clean and very scenic. It was clear that, as a people, the Filipinos have a lot of pride and care for their houses and their land. And they are lovely people. I think it would be a shame to forego a trip there because one was so focused on the downside of non-Western living standards that it wasn't possible to see the charm. And the diving is fabulous. We're going back for our third visit in October.

Having travelled through and loved and enjoyed, South America, India ,Indonesia and Africa I would say that the Philippines is relatively unpolluted in the parts of Cebu I saw. However the Visayas is a far far cleaner area and the diving there is sublime. It's now one of our favourite countries.

When I first moved to the Philippines (Puerto Galera area) I only drank filtered water, but didn't have a problem brushing my teeth with tap water. I live at the tippy top of a mountain now and drink straight from the tap. Haven't had a problem for over a year. With that being said, I did get sick from drinking iced tea that was made with local water from town. Your best bet is to stick with filtered water. Better to be safe than sorry, right?

As for pollution, there does seem to be a lack of consideration when it comes to keeping areas clean from trash. I don't know how many times I've seen people unwrap something to eat then throw the trash on the ground or on the beach. Littering is something that needs to be addressed here.

And whose fault is it that there is trash pollution in third world countries?

Before plastic they used natural product, leaves, wood etc and thus when they had used their plate/tray, they then threw it aside and it decomposed with no issue for anyone.

Along comes the civilised west and introduce plastic. In the rush to increase profits at the expense of nature and other countries, no one thought to (or perhaps cared) to think of the consequences. Thus in the first instance it is us. Yes the third world countries also have responsibility, but they usually don't have the money to deal adequately with this issue. Perhaps if the manufacturers of such products had to provide end of life money, thus drive up pricing, thus drive down usage? The people in the third world country just continue to follow their instinct, also you often find there is no real support structure for simple waste collection and disposal.

yes I know that's along shot and not a realistic outcome, but we really need to do more to support those countries that have this issue. When travelling Bali, I find it so sad that for miles you see in the jungle, plastic of all sorts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom