Cutting tools of choice for wreck penetration dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you talking about fishing wire cable or braided strand cable in large diameters? I'll have to give it a go next time I see some just for the sake of trying it.
7x7 stainless cable... 3/16 is about max ... Can do 1/4" but really need to work at it... Or have really strong hands..

Jim...

Thanks, haven't really seen any yet, and I have done a bunch of East Coast wreck diving, but I'll keep it in mind and give it a go when I see some. Damn it, more gear to carry....

Shears are not going to cut the wire cable found on wrecks.. The best " small " thing to have are lineman pliers ... Will cut 3/16 stainless steel cable, 00 wire and most likely anything you get tangled in... Bolt cutters are next up on the list.. But, much bigger to carry...

Jim....

What size pliers are you using? Do you have a manufacturer's link you can recommend for diving applications?

Thnx

By "wrecks" do you mean underwater? Or that old car parked behind the dive shop? :rolleyes:

Shears are not going to cut the wire cable found on wrecks.. The best " small " thing to have are lineman pliers ... Will cut 3/16 stainless steel cable, 00 wire and most likely anything you get tangled in... Bolt cutters are next up on the list.. But, much bigger to carry...Jim....
The hammer and chisel will cut the larger wire but the Broco Torch would be better. There are also few problems in life that cannot be solved with the proper amount of explosives.

1_11158.jpg

I have always liked a 9" or so length to get the leverage .... I had a old pair that was given to my by a lineman from LICO back yrs ago... Lost them along the way of life... I have a pair that I think are Klien's that are very good cutters... And Channel locks make some good cutters... Don't go cheap as they will not cut worth a dam..

Jim..

---------- Post added May 3rd, 2015 at 12:26 PM ----------

By "wrecks" do you mean underwater? Or that old car parked behind the dive shop? :rolleyes:

Sometimes it is a old car at the bottom of the lake... That's how they tested the ice back in the day..

Jim...

---------- Post added May 3rd, 2015 at 12:27 PM ----------

The hammer and chisel will cut the larger wire but the Broco Torch would be better. There are also few problems in life that cannot be solved with the proper amount of explosives.

View attachment 207858

I want one...... Please... For Christmas... I'm a good boy...

Neat tool. I sell these as well as some of the other gadgets they come up with.

Rick certainly has some interesting and innovative hardware. The nice thing about them is they actually use the stuff that they come out with...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom