Typhoon slams Chuuk, on track to hit Yap harder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Canada has the same warning to travel to the US about being robbed by the police. Do not carry cash and do not consent to a search

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Where did you read this nonsense?

from all the civil fortitude on the Canadian travel website it says don't carry cash

They have an article on the Canadian goverments news website too

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/world/amer...rge-you-but-they-ll-grab-your-money-1.2760736

First of all, the link you provide is for the CBC (equivalent of NPR in the US), it is not a government website. But if you were in Canada, you would actually know that.

All I know is that I saw it on reddit and laughed alot I have no clue about anything else other than I guess canadians should carry cash

The Canadian government's travel site doesn't have any advisories for the US, see below. Certainly nothing is mentioned about looters with clubs and machetes - and nothing about corrupt Cops conducting shakedowns. I think that it is an "urban myth" - although there are neighborhoods in both the US and Canada that I would avoid after dark! "Exercise normal security precautions". But it says the same thing about Micronesia!

Travel advice and advisories for United States
Advisories
UNITED STATES - Exercise normal security precautions
There is no nationwide advisory in effect for the United States (U.S.). Exercise normal security precautions.

I would love to dive Truk again....but after all this I don't know, I generally don't believe taking my family to places that remind me of Iraq and Afghanistan (worse than) is a good idea. I understand posturing, and this was that and more. I was warned by Kim and JJ about the locals prior to the storm hitting, then got to see it first hand once it happened. What's worse was many of the people willing to "help" were clearly helping with the implied message that you'll take their help or else something worse might happen. I know what the owners of the Odyssey are saying about the people that owned the reef and I can tell you without a doubt it was more of a take our help or else situation and that they were the first people to start looting the Odyssey. Then these other stories I see, what a mess. I doubt the Siren was burned to cover up evidence....otherwise all the boats would have been, there were 4 boats aground (3 that I directly saw) within 500 meters of where the Siren went aground, including the Odyssey, all being looted by many of the same people and they were not burned....just speculation on my part though.

I would love to dive Truk again....but after all this I don't know, I generally don't believe taking my family to places that remind me of Iraq and Afghanistan (worse than) is a good idea. . .
I'm sure any Korean or Vietnam War Vet would've said the same thing about the respective countries after performing their Service & Duty during that time of war. Same with any visitor who survived the ordeal & aftermath of Hurricane Katrina/New Orleans. Point is that they are all recovered & rebuilt thriving regions now (well. . .South Korea is).

Chuuk State will recover & rebuild quickly too -fortunately- with the full aid and support of the United States Gov't: USCompact.org | U.S. Compact of Free Association with the FSM and the RMI

I'm talking about the behavior of the people, not the damage or destruction. As I said they acted worse than the people I met in Iraq and Afghanistan and I'm referring to the 2002-2004 time frame when cities were destroyed and the people had limited resources.

I'm talking about the behavior of the people, not the damage or destruction. As I said they acted worse than the people I met in Iraq and Afghanistan and I'm referring to the 2002-2004 time frame when cities were destroyed and the people had limited resources.
I understand. Of course you are talking about certain non-majority criminal representative groups behavior taking advantage of a chaotic situation caused by natural disaster --and not "The People" or the general population per se...

I understand. Of course you are talking about certain non-majority criminal representative groups behavior taking advantage of a chaotic situation caused by natural disaster --and not "The People" or the general population per se...

I don't agree. The fact that the looting and vandalism were so well-organized and began so quickly suggests that this was not just an unusual situation resulting from the storm; it's more like well-established and widely-tolerated criminals quickly taking advantage of a disaster.

That is substantiated by the experiences of the boat captain described below and also by the specific warnings about the high crime rate in Chuuk from the US consular service, which also mentions that the police aren't very helpful - especially in instances of theft.

I've never been to that part of the world but I had wanted to go - but not any more. I am sure that there are many fine people living on Chuuk, but the widely practiced and accepted criminal activity including the involvement of the police, the vicious behavior, the attitude of entitlement, and the malicious destruction has changed my mind.

I know that crime and corruption can happen all over the world I am sure that I won't be missed among Chuuk's tourist visitors, but that's how I feel.

https://www.facebook.com/kimball.corson/posts/731677813524858

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom