Nitek Q vs X Deep...vs Petrel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RBMcNeil

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am buying my first dive computer and have narrowed it down to the 3 listed. I have found allot of information on the Petrel but limited info on the X Deep and even less on the Q... Any recommendations or real world information?

I've had the xDeep Black EANx for a year and love it! I see a lot of Petrel's and their owners swear by them also. What kind of information on the Black are you looking for?

I am curious as well - I am toying with the idea of moving from my Veo 2.0 to something with an OLED screen, in part on the assumption it will be easier on my (aging) eyes.

I suffer from age related presbyopia too and just got a Petrel 2. The larger colour screen does help a bit but it is still blurry due to the (short) distance it sits on my arm. It depends on how bad your age related presbyopia is. A better fix would be to get gauge readers installed in your mask.

Last edited:
I dive the Nitek Q regularly and have used a Petrel. I think the Petrel is a better thought out, more capable computer, but for the price point, the Q is hard to beat. It boils down to how much you're willing to spend. I have no experience with the DeepX.

gcarter, petrel doesn't use an OLED screen, but I haven't had any issues with it, though most of my diving is in a cave, so pretty much everything is bright enough. That said, I haven't had any issues with it in bright OW though minimal.

To the OP, there is a reason the information is as sparce as it is, regarding the Q, it should also say something that Dive Rite is using the Petrel as the controller and backup computer for their rebreather instead of modifying the Q. The Q isn't a bad computer, but for less than $200 more you can get a badass computer that will hold value better and work better for you. Regarding the xdeep, there is a lot of issues that have been reported, but not sure of recent issues. For the features and price, I think the extra $100 ish for the Petrel is a nobrainer. If you were looking at a different price bracket, say the $400 range, then it is a different discussion, but when you're debating $650 vs $750, it's not even a discussion at that point.

I've had all 3. I never had any luck with the Q. Software issues that took a long time for Dive Rite to correct. Buttons that jammed from silt. And I was always leery of the door for the charger being put on correctly.

I'm quite happy with my Petrel and XDeep Black. When using them, I found that I tended to look at the XDeep more. It was just more pleasing to the eye and easier to pick out the info. Either way, both computers are very easy to see in low viz conditions. The algorithms give me similar profiles and deco obligations. I liked the smaller form factor of the XDeep. Shearwater customer service is legendary, and since I'm in Canada, would be very convenient if I ever needed it. I really like that it uses AA batteries that you can find anywhere in the world, and that I don't have to carry around an extra charger. Saying that, I like the way the XDeep charges. I never have to worry about a pinched o-ring causing a flood to the computer. I think that you'll be happy with either one of these computers (assuming that you find someone with the XDeep in stock).

""allot of information on the Petrel but limited info on the X Deep and even less on the Q""

I think that alone says a lot about the 3 computers. I had the X Deep and moved on to the Petrel 2. Petrel computers are amazing and their costumer service is superb.

Thanks for the responses...I have decided to go with the Petrel 2. With so many devices on the market and new ones being released, it can be confusing at times.

Back
Top Bottom