Key Largo dive ops for junior checkout dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

devingordon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I have settled on Key Largo (or nearby) as the best location for our son's checkout dives for his open water certification this summer. Given the shallow dives and relative ease of diving, the Upper Keys seem like a good choice. So I'm looking for a recommendation for a dive op or specific instructor who works well with kids.

We typically dive with six-pack operators in the Caymans, Cozumel, etc., so that's our frame of reference, but we're not opposed to other types of ops. In that realm, I've read good things about Quiescence. I've also read good things about Rainbow Reef, Conch Republic, etc., so it seems like there are many good choices in general, but I'm specifically looking for folks good with junior divers.

Any recommendations are most appreciated.

Great choice, many dive sites that are great for jr. & new divers. Also lots of dive ops to chose from.

Plenty of threads here full of info.

Please PM me for more specifics.

I'm a high school teacher and independent instructor who works mainly with kids and families. I have a good working relationship with many of the operators in the area. PM me if you are interested.

Hey devingordon ,

The Upper Keys is a great place for diving and training as it has some great shallow reefs and lot of animal life. It's the perfect place for your son to get trained. As for the training there are a lot of shops and independent instructors that will do a great job in his training. When choosing a instructor just insure you contact them personally and are good with their training schedule, as well as, the instructor.

For us we train lots of family's including kids. We are also the go to training facility for Gold Star Teen Adventures. These are kids who fathers were members of the special operations armed forces and lost their lives in battle. Needless to say it's a challenge but also a rewarding experience for the kid, as well as, our staff. Check out the website at GST Adventures

If you have any questions, even if you don't dive or train with us, please don't hesitate to give me a call. I'd be more than happy to offer any assistance to ensure you and your son have a great experience while in the Florida Keys.

Good Diving,

I just got back from a great trip to Key Largo. Elena ("mselenaous") was a great guide and instructor, and I think she'd be good with a junior diver. I went with Rainbow Reef and thought they did a super job catering to a wide range of divers, including some younger divers, students on their first open water dives, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom