How to save a Saltwater flooded GOPRO

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just came across this thread and is trying to see if I can resurrect our flooded GoPro. I am stuck at the very first step - taking apart the GoPro. I have one of those opthalmology screwdriver but don't see any screws on the camera itself. Only 2 nail head-like thing, one by the 'select' button and one at the base of the camera's body. Can't figure how to take the GoPro apart. Everything seemed to be 'sealed in'. Thank you for your help.

I just came across this thread and is trying to see if I can resurrect our flooded GoPro. I am stuck at the very first step - taking apart the GoPro. I have one of those opthalmology screwdriver but don't see any screws on the camera itself. Only 2 nail head-like thing, one by the 'select' button and one at the base of the camera's body. Can't figure how to take the GoPro apart. Everything seemed to be 'sealed in'. Thank you for your help.
Which model? All are a slight bit different. ref: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/search/gopro and http://www.back-bone.ca/support/ribcage-install-guides/ for tear down information. You may need more than an eyeglasses screwdriver however.

Thank you for the links. It is a Hero3 black.

---------- Post added April 11th, 2015 at 04:33 PM ----------

I just went out to buy the 'ingredients' needed to repair a flooded GoPro Hero3 Black. Forgot to get the vinegar. Any particular type of vinegar? I have rice vinegar in the pantry. Thanks.

Opps! Thanks. Appreciate all the help.

Bump. Been a over a year and still going strong! Peter, its the hero 2. They have bad latches

Link for disassembling the Hero 3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STo-WlCHYh4

I'm in the process of reviving mine! :)
I got my Gopro 3+ White wet on Wednesday (the housing leaked on a shallow dive, probably through the lens port since that was recently replaced). I decided to try to dismantle it yesterday to clean out the salt water and recover it.

Bad news and a word of caution. When I try to remove the front plate from the Hero 3+, the LCD screen tore off as did what appears to be a ground wire on the front of the housing. Both appear to be designed to be permanently attached to the front plate. Hopefully I will be able to use the WiFi to set the controls on the camera. I would not recommend taking it apart for desalination. If I were to face this problem again I would simply flood and drain the camera with the alcohol and vinegar then soak and drain it repeatedly with distilled water, changing it periodically. I gave up trying to remove the camera from the housing when I realized I did not have the proper tools to open it up all the way. I use mine pretty much exclusively for video, so once the camera is properly configured I should be able to get it to do most of what I want it to do.

Last edited:
Do not soak it in the alcohol for too long, as it may peel away the finish of the case.

So true... I soaked my Hero4 in meths last night to soak up the fresh water I rinsed it in and all the silver and black coating swelled up and went wrinkly.

It's sitting in rice now, thinking about what it's done, but when it comes out I reckon it'll be a nice crinkle finish that nobody will ever steal :)

The same dive housing did 62m a dozen dives earlier and leaked at 12m yesterday, there's nothing in the gasket unless maybe it only takes a hair that I can't see? I always wipe it before closing, it's the same extended door, maybe I need to up my gasket hygiene, get a magnifying glass - is it really that sensitive tho?!!?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom