Traveling with rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

endurodog

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Got to spend some time in a pool with a rebreather a year ago and really enjoyed it. Been thinking about one but I'm land locked in the Denver area. I do dive here in the local lakes but that's not the best use for a rebreather. It would be some of the dive destinations I travel to that I would really enjoy having one at. So with that how is traveling with the units?

Are most destinations rebreather friendly? Have tanks? Airlines ok?

I'm sure I'm missing some things so please add those .

Thanks in advance.

Rebreather friendly: Nope

Have Tanks: Nope

Airlines OK: Nope

However, if you check beforehand with the dive-centers, and mainly concentrate your effort with those that offer technical diving, you may get lucky. Remember, some centres will lie to you to get you in a sticky situation. Been there, done that, Big Blue Diving Koh Tao :bash:.
Thanks to Master Divers Koh Tao, I still had a great vacation.:blessing:

Airlines may or may not be ok. So far I have been lucky, but I have also chosen very light rebreathers, and mainly carried them as cabin luggage (Pelagian, rEvo3 Micro FT)

I carry on my Kiss Spirit LTE. I also pack my fins, mask, boots & computer in my "computer bag" so I'm ready to hit the dive center when I arrive and don't need anything except tanks & sorb. If they lose my luggage, I can dive all I want & just wait for clean undies another day.

People ship their rebreathers to me all the time.

Rebreather friendly - Yup - within reason. On tech trips, definitely. On recreational trips, depends on your definition of friendly. Bottom time limited to when the last O/C diver surfaces.

Rental cylinders? - Yup, steel and aluminum. 2 liters and 3, 13's and 19's.

Airlines OK? Maybe, but why take the risk? Ship it UPS the week before.

Sorb available - Yup, 812 Sofnolime

O2 available? Yup, boosted to 3k PSI

Helium available? Yup, but again, only on trimix trips.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom