Puerto Galera, Anilao, or Dauin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've had a good share of Lembeh (4 times), been twice to Anilao and stayed once in Dauin and once in PG (add on top of that many stays in Ambon, Bangka, Alor, Tulamben and all the great spots for Macro diving in south East asia).

I would say of all I'd rate Lembeh, Ambon, Tulamben and Anilao on the top my list for muck diving.
Anilao is particularly impressive for cephalopods and rare nudibranches, just like Lembeh although I think Lembeh brings more nudis of all kinds and very weird cases of behavior (have you already seen a big ceratosoma nudibranch being eaten by a smaller one while an emperor shrimp is running frantically on its back? that was what the sight I had 2 weeks ago).

Dauin is good but I would not rate it up to the latter destinations I mentioned, while it's true that like atmosphere resorts mentioned, the water can be especially clear for a muck dive (Ambon or Tulamben alike), the dives can be very dense with specific sorts of critters (I often came up with a count of 10 or more ornate GPF or painted frogfish) I didn't enjoy the same variety nor the rare critters that Anilao or Lembeh usually host.

One of the best thing for Anilao is also the access to Beatrice, Saddle point or Sombrero which are all remarkable blue water dives, while I find Apo a little tame in comparison. Though current might be raging in some of Anilao dive sites.

i would state that if you like good diving and topside conditions, Dauin is probably better, but if you're looking for more interesting, rarer critters or if you have photography in mind first like myself, Anilao is a better option.

I've had a good share of Lembeh (4 times), been twice to Anilao and stayed once in Dauin and once in PG (add on top of that many stays in Ambon, Bangka, Alor, Tulamben and all the great spots for Macro diving in south East asia).I would say of all I'd rate Lembeh, Ambon, Tulamben and Anilao on the top my list for muck diving. Anilao is particularly impressive for cephalopods and rare nudibranches, just like Lembeh although I think Lembeh brings more nudis of all kinds and very weird cases of behavior (have you already seen a big ceratosoma nudibranch being eaten by a smaller one while an emperor shrimp is running frantically on its back? that was what the sight I had 2 weeks ago). Dauin is good but I would not rate it up to the latter destinations I mentioned, while it's true that like atmosphere resorts mentioned, the water can be especially clear for a muck dive (Ambon or Tulamben alike), the dives can be very dense with specific sorts of critters (I often came up with a count of 10 or more ornate GPF or painted frogfish) I didn't enjoy the same variety nor the rare critters that Anilao or Lembeh usually host. One of the best thing for Anilao is also the access to Beatrice, Saddle point or Sombrero which are all remarkable blue water dives, while I find Apo a little tame in comparison. Though current might be raging in some of Anilao dive sites.i would state that if you like good diving and topside conditions, Dauin is probably better, but if you're looking for more interesting, rarer critters or if you have photography in mind first like myself, Anilao is a better option.
Thanks for all the info (and everyone else as well). Any thoughts on PG (keeping in mind that, while I love muck diving, I like a good mix of quality reef diving as well)?

We did Dauin(5 days --Dumaguete, Pura Vida Resort--2 of our diving days done @ Apo Island) then they boated us, 4 hours, on to Moalboal(5 days--Cebu, Turtle Bay Resort) & got to dive with the WSs @ Oslob outta there on 1 day.......Great diving @ both places....

EDIt.....Pp, the 'trip' over from Dumaguete to Cebu was really very nice----& relaxing....There were around 20 in our group(all from La.) & we really had a great little trip going to Turtle Bay....Here's a few short videos I took along the way...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/80825593@N08/8173447342/in/set-72157631944295371

https://www.flickr.com/photos/80825593@N08/8173475792/in/set-72157631944295371

https://www.flickr.com/photos/80825593@N08/8173510815/in/set-72157631944295371

https://www.flickr.com/photos/80825593@N08/8169335687/in/set-72157631944295371

https://www.flickr.com/photos/80825593@N08/8170146748/in/set-72157631944299597

arriving @ TBR....
https://www.flickr.com/photos/80825593@N08/8168395516/in/set-72157631944299597

Last edited:
My head is pretty much spinning at this point trying to decide on where to go. I know, I know... First world problems...lol. At this point, I'm somewhat leaning towards splitting my time (12-14 nights total) between Anilao and PG. I'd love to hear more feedback from people on their thoughts on the diving at PG so I can decide how to split my time.

The only thing that concerns me about Anilao is how it seems that all the dive rates there vary greatly depending on how many divers there are. This is a problem for someone like myself, traveling as a solo diver, that doesn't care much for the idea of the cost of a day of diving varying anywhere from $100-$250+ based on something I have absolutely no control over. While I realize having a 1:1 guide ratio is nice, I've enjoyed that several times at other locales without having to pay extra for it, not to mention nearly 3x the standard rate for it.

From what I can tell, the main thing I'd me missing out on by skipping Dauin would be the opportunity to island hop to the whale sharks, which is something I'd really like to do. The only thing I've seen so far was about 5 seconds of whale shark butt in Utila...lol. Are whale sharks at all accessible from either Anilao or PG?

Also, how do you pronounce Anilao? I have caught myself on occasion saying "Anal Ow", which would be a VERY unfortunate mispronunciation...lol.

A couple of years ago myself and two friends spent half our trip at Anilao then transferred by boat to Sabang

It cost $100 or thereabouts for the boat transfer, which was nice an relaxed. In retrospect it could have been better if we had done a dive or two on the way, but none of us had thought of that at the time.

Two of us later thought it would have been better to do the trip the other way round, Sabang first then Anilao, post diving at Anilao is quiet, plus there is plenty of shore diving.

At Anilao we always have our own boat, and dive time is restricted to how much gas is left in your tank, 80-90 min dives are not unusual, whereas the multitude of dive ops at Sabang run 4 or 5 boat trips per day and have a schedule, unless you are first off and last back on you will be lucky to get a 60 min dive - I speak only for the two dive ops that I have used there Asia Divers and Atlantis, the smaller ops might be more flexible.

---------- Post added April 14th, 2015 at 08:01 AM ----------

Also, how do you pronounce Anilao? I have caught myself on occasion saying "Anal Ow", which would be a VERY unfortunate mispronunciation...lol.

Anni low

..... The only thing that concerns me about Anilao is how it seems that all the dive rates there vary greatly depending on how many divers there are. This is a problem for someone like myself, traveling as a solo diver, that doesn't care much for the idea of the cost of a day of diving varying anywhere from $100-$250+ based on something I have absolutely no control over. While I realize having a 1:1 guide ratio is nice, I've enjoyed that several times at other locales without having to pay extra for it, not to mention nearly 3x the standard rate for it.....

Dear Pillpusher, You may wish to check Buceo Anilao fixed diving rates per person even if you are the only one diving, you will still be going by boat to all best dive sites, including Maricaban and Sombrero Islands... :)

A couple of years ago myself and two friends spent half our trip at Anilao then transferred by boat to Sabang

It cost $100 or thereabouts for the boat transfer, which was nice an relaxed. In retrospect it could have been better if we had done a dive or two on the way, but none of us had thought of that at the time.

Two of us later thought it would have been better to do the trip the other way round, Sabang first then Anilao, post diving at Anilao is quiet, plus there is plenty of shore diving.

At Anilao we always have our own boat, and dive time is restricted to how much gas is left in your tank, 80-90 min dives are not unusual, whereas the multitude of dive ops at Sabang run 4 or 5 boat trips per day and have a schedule, unless you are first off and last back on you will be lucky to get a 60 min dive - I speak only for the two dive ops that I have used there Asia Divers and Atlantis, the smaller ops might be more flexible.

---------- Post added April 14th, 2015 at 08:01 AM ----------

Anni low

If I end up doing that, I'll probably start with Anilao (yes, "Anni low" does sound much better...lol) so I don't have to overnight in Manila and can be in the water first thing in the morning rather than losing a 1/2 day of diving for travel. Currently, I'm looking at Out of the Blue/Action Divers in PG, and Aiyanar in Anilao as my most likely choices. Aiyanar solely because I haven't found anything else I like so far (my wife doesn't dive, so tv and wifi are a must for her) and most of the websites piss me off by not posting their rates and/or very little info about the resort. If they're too lazy to post info regarding their hotel, I'm too lazy to waste my time asking.

---------- Post added April 13th, 2015 at 11:41 PM ----------

Dear Pillpusher, You may wish to check Buceo Anilao fixed diving rates per person even if you are the only one diving, you will still be going by boat to all best dive sites, including Maricaban and Sombrero Islands... :)

Thanks, I did come across Buceo, and I wish more resorts in that area had a price structure like yours. Hell, I just heard back from a "dive resort" telling me that they don't have any scheduled dives, and that the guest books the boat, guide, tanks all separately (and all with separate fees) on their own. A "dive resort" with no scheduled dives? Wouldn't that make them just a "resort"?

Honestly, I would have gone with you guys if you just had tv/cable in the rooms. I know how that sounds, but my wife doesn't dive, so tv and wifi are must haves on her list. If that weren't the case, I'd still be researching for a Papau New Guinea trip.

Last edited:
Aiyanar solely because I haven't found anything else I like so far (my wife doesn't dive, so tv and wifi are a must for her) and most of the websites piss me off by not posting their rates and/or very little info about the resort.
Check out Acacia resort, also new La Chevrerie that integrates a spa for your wife.

I normally use Crystal Blue, but I am not sure it would suit your wife.

On my last solo trip there I had a boat and guide all for myself, schedule was up to me, I had a ball.

Check out Acacia resort, also new La Chevrerie that integrates a spa for your wife.

Thanks. La Chev seems to be more spa than dive resort, and my wife isn't into the spa stuff very much anyway. I initially gave up on Acacia due to the lack of info on their one page website, and the contact page just gave me error messages. But, I just sent them an email directly requesting more info. The rooms are definitely less $, but don't look nearly as nice. But at least that will give me another option.

I'm also going to look into hiring a guide myself rather than being at the mercy of the dive shop at Aiyanar if I end up staying there. I hear AnilaoCritters have great guides and are pretty affordable?

Back
Top Bottom