Sub Gravity H3 Computer by Seabear Vs. Shearwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I completely agree with you. Getting information out is going to be key in having a successful, new product introduced. Many people will find reasons to never use the new computers, but it is usually because they have grown very comfortable in their current products. Of course I do not think that people should blindly jump into a new system at each and every turn, but these computers have been in use for a long time now. No one has had any exposure to them simply because no one knew they existed outside of military units and a few others. I think that going into 2016 and 2017 will be a very exciting time for dive computers. I often wonder what the next big thing will be. The digital compass is, perhaps, the new thing for computers. Maybe GPS is next??

I am a Shearwater fan. Don't have a Petrel (yet) still diving my Predator and would not hesitate to get a another one. I look forward to seeing the Seabear at BTS. Just to compare. I do use V planner a lot. For recreational and technical dives. My tech students are strongly recommended to buy the full version and the free version is required. So not having that is a strike against for me. Still look forward to seeing it and some others this year. Classes are picking up and I will have students that will be looking into computers. Budget, features, ease of use, and option to do courses on Dive Nav will all factor in when talking about their options. Even though the OW and AOW will use tables in my classes they may still want to look into a comp for those operations that require one.

Use HOG2 at checkout to receive 15% off

The site says "The coupon code you entered doesn't exist. Please try again." when I try to checkout. If I order, can you manually adjust the price?

It would be a serious disappointment if they can't.

I too like the T1 over the H3. But, how is the wheel on the side sealed? I could see that as a water intrusion point. B.

I played with the T1 at the Oztek show a few weeks ago. The wheel interface is very intuitive. I prefer it over the push button interface of my Petrel 2. I cannot tell you how it is sealed however. I will get one when they are released mid year.

If GPS is released at some point, I would venture to say that compass prices would come down a bit

GPS can be useful up top. You could use the start and end fix to correct your dead reckoning you'd use underwater: an IMU would give you a compass (need magnetometer + tilt) plus dead reckoning from the acceleromters.

A raspberry pi is $50, give or take. That gives you a complete grown-up computer platform with easy hook-up for gps, imu, and whatever other sensors you care to hook up. A typical sensor chip is $40 or less, as is a 1.5" color oled. The case I suspect can be 3D-printed these days at your local 3D print shop.

Sky's the limit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom