Diving near(ish) Hollywood Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ComputerX

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm going to be in Hollywood Beach 4/19 - 4/21 for business. I have never dove in Florida, and I'm wondering if it is worth extending my stay to get a little wet time.

I have tried searching the forum here, but my lack of geographical knowledge makes that hard. I don't know the area at all.

I usually beach dive in Monterrey, CA. I have also done a little vacation diving; most recently in Micronesia, Indonesia, and Palau. I'm rescue certified. I don't particularly like wrecks.

Who can you recommend as a local dive operator and/or shop? Is it worth extending my trip to do a day or two of diving? I'm fairly budget conscious.

Thank you.

Dan

I agree with johnn_bravo, it's worth spending an extra day or two. The shore dives he mentioned are some of the best in Florida. If you want boat diving, head just a bit north of Lauderdale by the Sea and you'll find many operators in Pompano. A few suggestions since you don't know the area:

-Force-E or Gold Coast Scuba are both fine shops. They don't have boats but can set you up on other operator's boats. They also rent gear for shore dives.

-South Florida Dive HQ: I especially like this operator when I want to dive the shallow reefs. They have two big pontoon boats and one smaller boat (the latter is mostly used for the deeper wrecks).

-Pompano Dive Center: great for the wrecks.

-Scubatyme: also great boat for the wrecks, really nice captain and nice boat owner.

There are plenty of other operators but those are the three I've used and enjoyed.

If you have a car and are willing to drive 60-120 minutes, you can also check out Jupiter, WPB, Boynton or the Keys. The only downside to sticking around in April is the unpredictable marine conditions. It can go from flat calm to 8+ foot waves in only a day or two this time of year.

if you have transportation....try blue heron bridge dive...remember it's tide dependent... check with the Force -E shop for details the may have a schedule dive ...

....I usually beach dive in Monterrey, CA. ...

That means you are a photographer.

Bring your camera, leave your drysuit home. The Pompano/etc reefs have a ton of of great photo shots that you can share. Also our viz is 4 times your best day at the breakwater (and I've dove Monterrey many times, love Anacapa/Channel Islands/Truth trips too).

In FLA, Imagine jumping off the boat in 80 ft of water and instantly seeing the bottom. Bottom temps will be running about 77-78 degrees and you Cali divers do that in teeshirts. If you want sharks, drive up to Jupiter an hour north cause it's shark season right now.

Definitely extend your time and dive Florida. You'll get some incredible photo's to show the peeps back home.

I agree 100% with Johnoly:

"Definitely extend your time and dive Florida. You'll get some incredible photo's to show the peeps back home."

I spent a lot of time surfing in CA so I have a good idea of your VIS and chilly H2o.....You'll love the relatively warmer water but still wear a wet suit this time of year ... Make no mistake about it....South Florida is paradise.

Don't miss the opportunity...life is short.

I dived LBTS a couple weeks ago and was saddened by what I saw. Last year when I dived Hollywood, it was depressing. Seems whatever is affecting Hollywood's reefs is spreading north.
Hollywood Beach last year
10418285_10152271935463531_7175150822295994770_n.jpg

Normally I LOVE diving off Johnson street, but have not in so long after the last dive (and the above photo) and the construction at Margaritaville.

Ft. Lauderdale, a mile or so south of LBTS
10393896_10152355920223531_4198657525042112637_n.jpg

me, a year ago January, Hollywood
1535669_10152250296432223_1775698937_n.jpg

Couple weeks ago.. gee lookit all the fish.. LBTS

11081092_10152714985923531_6478130489613655447_n.jpg

i think it's the margaritaville really adding to the problems right now :(

Unless you are looking to buy something you'll do better with a dive guide than a store. Scuba Jenny is quite knowledgeable of the dive sites you mentioned and she has excellent dive-eyes! You couldn't do any better... (and no, I don't get a commission...)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom