Rude Divers on the Boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's not been my experience at all. In fact, the wealthiest diver I know personally would probably be Calvin Tang ... and he's one of the nicest people you could ever share a dive boat with. Great diver and underwater photographer too ...

Like I said there are many exceptions. Thread is in response to a comment that suggested that wealth some how created better friendlier divers. I do not think that wealth, or a lack of it, makes folks better or worse at anything all by itself.

The naked lady wasn't anyone anybody would purposefully want to see naked, which made matters much much worse. For some reason the naked people are never the people who you wish to see naked.

Given the average age of the diving population I'd be surprised if anybody wanted to see any of us nekkid. And mirrors are abominable.

Texasguy, I agree with you on one thing. The wealthy are less likely to be confrontational and won't punch you in the nose. They generally prefer the passive aggressive approach and will stab you in the back when you aren't looking.
There is always a rude inconsiderate idiot on the dive boat. I consider it part of the sport.

It's been my experience that most assholes seem to transcend social, economic, and cultural barriers.

Fortunately, I have run into very few on a dive boat and for the most part have met some pretty cool people from all over the world.

That's an easy one to deal with; simply fin away, over their head, flailing and flapping your fins (hands too if you wish). An "accidental" swatting around the head and in the face with your fin tip, the viz ruined and the subject scared away and they'll soon learn to wait until you've moved off before risking being in your space again. If they complain back on the boat just apologise and blame your "inexperience". :blinking:

I've dove every day since three months ago. The divemaster makes sure that everyone knows that me and perma buddy aren't bound by any rules such as follow the leader so that won't work.... :( I can use the "sorry, I'm just a girl." That always works with old guys that think to much of themselves.

You guys are making me not want to ever do a live aboard for sure. If not for my sake but for my husband's. I can ignore someone for a day, but for a whole week? I might say something...and it would be decidedly un-Canadian. We are the land of hockey fights after all.

We've been on lots of liveaboards over the years and we have met many great people and had a lot of fun. I can only think of two obnoxious encounters. One was the cheating couple in heat and the other was a guy that wouldn't stop talking. You just had to ignore him until he went away to annoy someone else.

I've dove every day since three months ago. . . .

Well that sheds some light on the situation. Your handful of bad experiences probably reflects the statistical number one might expect. Dive every day, and one WILL run into the jerks sooner or later.

It's no surprise that I haven't had any bad experiences on any of the one-week trips I take a couple of times a year. If I keep at it long enough, I suspect I will have horror stories to tell, too. I bet your DM has some stories.

I can count the number of times on one hand that I've run into truly bad or rude divers. I automatically discount new divers who just don't know what they are doing, after all we have all been there, so they get a pass.

The one I recall the most was the Manhattan lawyer and his two girlfriends on a boat in Hawaii. He had a scimitar strapped to his leg and all this brand new fancy gear - including a Shark Shield. He made a big deal about telling us how he was protecting us from the sharks, and not to touch the cable. He'd clearly spent a ton of money outfitting himself and his harem. Some of their gear still had tags on it. Despite the money issue, he was an ok diver overall.

Girlfriend #1 made a big drama about being vegetarian, though they didn't warn the dive boat in advance. So all she ate was the Oreo cookies and soda. Irritated the crew to no end, but they took it quietly.

Girlfriend #2 was the nicest, but turned out to be a dive bomber. I had just finished my descent and levelled off about three feet off the bottom when I was hit by what I thought at first was the anchor. The weight slammed me into the rocks and pinned me there. A few seconds later the weight was removed and I saw the DM helping GF#2 by taking some lead off her belt. At first, I was wondering why he was giving her all the attention when she slammed into me, but I figured it out later back on the boat.

Turns out the DM was the shop owner, and he'd been paid big bucks by the lawyer to film the threesome and show them a good time. All other priorities rescinded.

I'm a relatively new diver, and this thread had me wondering about established dive etiquette I might not be aware of. I really don't want to be "that guy", and possibly wind up as the subject of a story on this thread. :)

A quick google search for "dive boat etiquette" brought up a ton of available lists. This one was among my favorites of the more comprehensive.

Mind your diving manners – A refresher on Scuba Etiquette

I'm a relatively new diver, and this thread had me wondering about established dive etiquette I might not be aware of. I really don't want to be "that guy", and possibly wind up as the subject of a story on this thread. :)

A quick google search for "dive boat etiquette" brought up a ton of available lists. This one was among my favorites of the more comprehensive.

Mind your diving manners – A refresher on Scuba Etiquette

90% of it is just respect the other diver's space, physical and personal, be it in the water or on the boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom