Cozumel vs Cancun - Whale Sharks, Cenotes, and more

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cozumel diving is much better than diving in Cancun. While swimming with the whale sharks was an incredible experience, doing it once is enough. Seeing the whale sharks can be his or miss too, and it's a long boat ride looking for the sharks. Also, I recommend flying directly into Cozumel rather than flying to Cancun, taking there bus to Playa del Carmen, and then the ferry. The Cancun route can make a long day of international travel much longer.

As for an all inclusive, the Palace is a great hotel, excellent food and rooms, and a short walk into town. The downside to the Palace is that there is no beach, the boat ride to the best dive sites can be long, and you are constantly being hit up by the sales persons to buy a timeshare/vacation club.

Fly in and out of Cozumel if the price is right, its a very easy airport and base your diving out of there. Just pick a day and take the ferry over to PDC for Cenote Diving with a second day option. Cenote Xperience will pick you right up at the ferry dock, and bring you back, I loved diving with them. If the flights are that much cheaper into Cancun, do the bag drag to Cozumel, and then the last two days of your trip head back and stay in PDC for your Cenote dives ( good way to wash out your gear).

You guys and gals are awesome, thank you. We are looking into Cozumel, and will do a ferry to do some Cenote. I am also looking at diver operators (maybe Scorpio Divers based on some recommendations on the forum). I am looking for Cenote, reef, night time dives, and if we can catch it in time - WhaleSharks.

My wife also suggested I look at other parts of the planet for dives - though we would like all-inclusive to make that part easy. We plan on staying about 8 or 9 days.

Thanks all!

onislamujeres.com is one option to start your research.

As JFS noted, the beginning of the season can be marked by uncertainty about permits. Others have reported no whale sharks in the early season.

From my experience:

Fly In and Out of CZM
Dive Cozumel as much as possible
Day trip to mainland for WhaleShark Trip if available
I strongly recommend a more Private Whaleshark OP. Scorpio divers was a HUGE disappointment .
I do not have any Cenote experience.

Avoid Chac Mool cenote unless you like swimming in a mixed up halocline most of the dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom