sanitizing mouthpiece before putting in mouth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ah--------just spit on it & wipe real hard..........:)

That is, in fact, what she said.

Fish p*ss, sh*t and have sex in the water your mouthpiece goes in. There is no point in sanitising it.

In places where DMs work without wetsuits, all those things are done by the DMs as well. Since the captain/boat crew has to pump out the head, they prefer it happen in the water.

During my OW classes I didn't worry about whether the regs were clean, and I bought my own regs right after I was certified. Since then they always get rinsed post-dive and that is good enough for me since I never let them hit the ground, and in water I won't swim behind others so I figure any piss is diluted more than enough before I swim through it (at least I hope it is :confused4: ). When I worked at a dive shop it was standard to give all the rental regs a rinse with fresh water and then squirt the mouthpieces with Listerine after every use.

I believe I have seen apeks comfort bite mouthpiece with antimicrobial silver so it is self sanitizing.

I dove with a guy on the boat who was COVERED in herpes sores. All over his mouth.

Glad I have my own regulator. I wouldn't have wanted his out of the rental shop pile. No amount of salt water is going to kill that.

:scared:

well well well i am not the one! there are folks out there that think our mouthpieces deserve a second thought. my wife and i have decided on a empty spray bottle filled with 100% Listerine that we will use from now on.

i am sure the guys on the boat will start using this if somebody brings it.:)

..........if somebody brings it.:)

Chug
Avoids the "mask bucket" and only rinses in the open sewer that is the sea.

Back
Top Bottom