Article: Destination Spotlight: Roatan, Honduras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The ScubaBoard Invaded Roatan and Anthony's Key Resort in 2014. It was OFF THE HOOK awesome. AKR is one of the best run dive ops I've been too...no, that's not a paid endorsement, it's just the fabulous truth - their staff are at the top of their game.

Here is a link to the Invasion so you can see the photos and videos taken on this trip.

I am working on a trip to Antony's in September this year. Flights seem expensive with long layovers and red-eyes. Any suggestions on flights or airlines from San Francisco? Avianca seems to have terrible reviews.

thanks,

drew.

Seems to be a great deal! Can folks who have been in Roatan recently comment on the U.S. State Department's travel warning for Honduras and Roatan? -- thanks

Just got back from Roatan last week. We stayed at Fantasy Island and while the staff was friendly, the resort has seen better days. The onsite dive op was also very friendly and very accommodating, however the diving itself was only good on this end of the island, not great. The corals where beautiful, but their was little in the way of large fish. There was a lot of juveniles and a lot of Green Moray that were entirely too accustomed to divers and being fed when they floated by. It was a nice trip, but I have heard that the diving is much better on the other side.

Seems to be a great deal! Can folks who have been in Roatan recently comment on the U.S. State Department's travel warning for Honduras and Roatan? -- thanks

Shawn, I've been to Roatan 4 times now and all the locals tell me the same things each time. You cannot walk around the capital city with your nice sunglasses, camera or electronics or someone might punch you in the face and take your stuff. I would not stay at a resort that did not have it's own security and each time I've been there I've seen guard shacks at the perimeter with pistols in their belts. There is a lot of crime and drug money on the island from what I hear. I've been to the West End, but would not stay there after dark. Also, I would not be in a car on the road at night there. Overall, it's an awesome deal for diving. I can't imagine going there for any other reason. Anthony's Key Resort was pretty awesome, and I also heard good things about Cocoview. I stayed at Media Luna and it was really nice, but their dive shop was super slow (like an hour late for every dive) and it's remote off a dirt road that can occasionally become flooded. The hotel was beautiful, but I go to dive!

Stick to your resort and you will be safe and sound :)

I am working on a trip to Antony's in September this year. Flights seem expensive with long layovers and red-eyes. Any suggestions on flights or airlines from San Francisco? Avianca seems to have terrible reviews.

thanks,

drew.

Drew, I've always flown United to/from Roatan. Done it several times now. I usually go in the spring or summer months, depart SFO at 11PM-ish Friday grab a few winks on the plane. Layover a few hours in Houston, then on to the island with wheels down in Roatan in time for an afternoon dive, usually. Ticket prices vary from day to day but I usually pay about $7-800 per ticket for the 'actual legroom' seats.
Return flights are usually feature a much shorter layover in Houston. And seem to arrive at SFO either at peak commute or just before BART closes down for the night :D

Almost every flight I've looked at for the Caribbean from the west coast entails a red-eye unless you want to layover for 12 hours plus somewhere. Time zone thing I guess.

---------- Post added March 19th, 2015 at 10:20 AM ----------

I was last there (Roatan) about 8 months ago. The security situation on Roatan did not appear to have deteriorated from my first visit about 7 years ago. The same guards at the airport, in town and at Coco View. There's no guard at RHR, which shares a small cay also occupied by local residents. No skulduggery has occurred during any of my stays there.

I've not ventured out of Coco View or Reefhouse resorts much except a couple of uneventful (daytime) trip to the west end, and being driven to and from the airport. I have spoken to many divers who have gone zip-lining and / or touring, they've never reported problems.

The mainland, or at least San Pedro Sula and La Cieba, has been problematic since before I started going to Roatan, so I've never visited. I have spoken to people who made connecting flights there, and the watch word was, "Don't leave the airport".

Been to Cocoview 11 times and going back in May. Totally safe out there but they do have security for the resort. Taken several tours on the island and never had a problem. I will not go to the mainland.
I am sure the AKR is nice but if you want to eat, sleep dive and repeat with the most return visited resort in the world then Cocoview is a very good choice. It is a family there.

I'm heading to Roatan next week... alas only for one day, aboard a cruise ship. Any recommendations for dive operators who might be cruise ship friendly? I'm there for about 8 hours from 7am-3pm so should have enough time for a 2 tank dive. Thanks in advance!~

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom