So many Visayas islands, so little time.....thoughts on our itinerary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is a long journey from Malpascau to Dauin so couple of days at Moalboal won't hurt.
1. Malapascua, Moalboal, Dauin and Bohol.
2. Malapascua, Moalboal, Dauin and Mactan.
If you leave Malapascua early, you can dive the wall at Moalboal around 3pm. The private transfer between Moalboal and Dauin won't take more than 3hrs.
If you do decide to stay at Mactan then make sure you choose the operator carefully. The place is packed with Korean.

Ha! I was wondering if 3 days was too short in Malapascua. I think I know what I'm going to do. I'm going to quit the part-time job and go diving full-time.....if only I could :wink:.

You two have been so helpful. We'll probably end up with 3 - 4 days at Malapascua, 6 at Dauin and surrounding areas, and 6 at Bohol including transfers. If we end up with a few extra days we'll probably add them to Malapascua.

This has been a lot of fun to research. Just one review can get me running down one path, then reading another swings me back in another direction. But in the end splitting our time among all three seems to be the best choice.

Thanks to you both! Expect a trip report in a year.....

---------- Post added March 25th, 2015 at 08:10 PM ----------

Well Miss Susie Said it best... I would think Doing 8Days in Dauin when theres so much more to see close by might make you miss out... And Dauin is not all muck... But Frogfish of all colors and sizes are all around...

off course theres the "Pretty" reefs of Apo Island with some hairy currents at coconut.
And one sight not alot of people mention but provides quite a rush is the mainit sanctuary... All the strong current of coconut without the possibility of a Down current...

3 Diving Days in Malapascua seems short... specially since there have been reports of hammer head sightings... :)

Excuse me but, Hammerheads ?!
Which reports please? :shocked2::D:D:D:D

hi Travelbuddy03

This looks like a very good itinerary to cover the Visayas region and see the highlights. i would certainly go to Malapascua and then to Dauin - so you miss a day of diving but it will be worth it to experience the variety.

Only comment would be not to skip Alona Beach if you would like to dive Balicasag. The Balicasag island is just a short trip from Alona, whereas its about 2.5 hrs from Cabilao so you'll waste precious dive time if you do the trip from there. I would go from Dauin to Alona, spend a day there diving and then go to Cabilao for the end of the trip, finishing with Tarsiers for the non diving day.

I used to run the liveaboard Philippine Siren, and know each of the areas very well - they are all really great for macro but add in the thresher sharks in Malapascua, corals in Apo and the whale sharks and the trip is really one of the best worldwide in my opinion. I love it so much I go back there each year to dive a combination of Siren and Atmosphere Resort in Dauin. I've not experienced Sea Explorers personally but do know them to be a quality operation, with nice staff and very professional. Their resorts in Dauin and Malapascua look very good also.

If you could travel in Feb 2016 then Siren Fleet offer a 12 night trip which covers the entire itinerary as above plus moalboal and you don't miss days of diving as you move between the islands or from Malapascua to Dauin. their trip departs Malapascua, heads down the Tanon Strait to Moalboal, then to Oslob/ Sumilon for half a day before Dauin/Apo for a couple of days, up to Balicasag with the last day of diving in Cabilao before returning to Cebu.

Either way you;re sure to have awesome diving!
Susie

Yes i agree that balicasag is a must see. But take note its not necessary for you to go Alona Beach to dive at Balicasag if you're diving with Sea Explorers. They usually make a boat dive transfer (weather permiting, but May is usually flat sea ) from Dauin to Cabilao and vice versa with 2 dives in Balicasag, or 1 dive Oslbo and 1 dive Balicasag on the way. After the 2 dives they will transfer you on the boat that will come from Cabilao. You leave at around 6:30 am from Dauin, and will arrive around 4pm in Cabilao

Also if you have the chance to extend and extra day in Malapascua that will make the long travel definitely more worth it

For sure both of you will have a great time with this Island Hopping combination.

Last edited:
critterdiver - in your opinion how many dives is Cabilao worth? We have several choices with our itinerary. After reading a bit on the specific dive sites around Cabilao and Alona Beach it seems there might be more good dive sites within reach of Alona Beach (Balicasag, Snake Island, and Pamilacan) whereas the book I'm reading - "The Philippines" by Jack Jackson - only lists 3 good dive sites around Cabilao.

Here are our options:

4 nights, 3 days Malapascua
1 day (non diving) transfer to Dauin
7 nights, 6 days Dauin and surrounding area
1 day (diving) transfer to Alona Beach -- hopefully Balicasag will be one of the sites as you mention above
3 nights, 2 days diving around Alona Beach (Balicasag again??, Pamilacan, Snake Island)
1 day (diving) transfer to Cabilao
4 nights, 3 days Cabilao
2 days of diving around Cabilao - but is this too much?
1 land based trip

Another option is to spend one more day in Malapascua, skip Cabilao altogether, and spend 5 total days in Alona Beach, one of which would be a land based trip. We're having the hardest time figuring out whether to put both Cabilao and Alona Beach in our itinerary or leave out one or the other.

How are the seas in March? Are they fairly smooth? That's when we'll be going.

Hey Travelbuddy,

Yes Cabilao is definitely worth 2 days, no worries. Especially that it will be your last destination, Cabilao is perfect for some quiet time after the busy Alona Beach. Your two days in Alona Beach should be spent diving in Snake Island, coastal divesites, or Pamilacan because you will do Balicasag more than once during your transfers anyways, perhaps also on the transfer from Alona to Cabilao. Perhaps you can also inquire to do your transfer in combination with a land trip, Alonabeach-chocolate hills-tarsiermonkeys- Cabilao.

With regards to Malapascua, i would add another day in Malapascua and one less in Dauin because you will have more chances on doing all the great divesites and excurisions overthere such as Calanggaman Island, Sambawan, and Gato Island. This will still leave you with enough time in Dauin to see Apo Island, Siquijor, Oslob, coastal muck dives and even an excursion to some lakes or markets.

I wouldnt stay 5 nights in Alona Beach if i have the chance to go to visit Cabilao for a few days.

The seas during March begin to calm down, since its the beginning of the high season. March April May are usually the best months conditionwise. Here you can see how the winds are currently in Dauin Wind, waves & weather forecast Dumaguete Airport/Negros - Windfinder

I hope this helps :)

Cheers

And lastly - if you have some time...you really should try to fit in a couple of days (at least) at Anilao. It is only a few hours drive from Manila ( so might fit in with flight schedules) and it top quality diving equal to much you will see elsewhere in the Philippines (in fact for macro - it is arguably better). A photographer's paradise. Aiyanar Resort would be my pick. As well as brilliant critter diving, the bommies at Beatrice's Rock and Verde Island are brilliant coral dives with masses of fish.

Excuse me but, Hammerheads ?!
Which reports please? :shocked2::D:D:D:D

Hi Ashashanti,

I was just with an Anilao Based instructor from Anilao at the DRT Shanghai show... and he had just come back from leading a group to malapascua... his name is Jason Buenaventura if that helps... And he said I should hop on over to Malapascua ASAP as they had some hammerhead sightings... I believe they were trying to go see the mobula rays at monad in the afternoon and were rewarded with hammerheads instead...

Malapascua is booked for me second week of June...

---------- Post added April 3rd, 2015 at 06:22 PM ----------

And lastly - if you have some time...you really should try to fit in a couple of days (at least) at Anilao. It is only a few hours drive from Manila ( so might fit in with flight schedules) and it top quality diving equal to much you will see elsewhere in the Philippines (in fact for macro - it is arguably better). A photographer's paradise. Aiyanar Resort would be my pick. As well as brilliant critter diving, the bommies at Beatrice's Rock and Verde Island are brilliant coral dives with masses of fish.

OIm with wiggsy on this one... and if you ever need any help booking Aiyanar Resort... dont hesitate to send me an Email at

marco.santos@aiyanar.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom