Vyper Won't Switch to Metric

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Locus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I can't find the menu to switch from imperial units to metric on my Suunto Vyper. I believe it should be under the Set - SetPref menu, but at first the only thing I could find there was the menu for the light settings. I tried removing and replacing the batter, and now the SetPref menu has Light options and Mode options, but still no units. Is there something else I could try?

How old is it? Early models were sold as either metric or imperial, with no ability to switch. (Other than sending to Suunto.)

Instruction for Use, VYPER. Pg (+/- 56?)

4.3.3.2. Dive Computer Units Setting

[2 UNITS]
To enter the Dive Computer Units Setting mode,
select MODE- 3 SET- 3 SET PREF- 2 UNITS.
This will enable you to choose between metric and
imperial units (Fig. 4.43 and Fig. 4.44).

Instruction for Use, VYPER. Pg (+/- 56?)

4.3.3.2. Dive Computer Units Setting

[2 UNITS]
To enter the Dive Computer Units Setting mode,
select MODE- 3 SET- 3 SET PREF- 2 UNITS.
This will enable you to choose between metric and
imperial units (Fig. 4.43 and Fig. 4.44).

There is no option UNITS in the SET PREF menu. The only options it offers are LIGHT and MODEL. Before I removed and replaced the battery and rebooted it, the only option in SET PREF was LIGHT.

---------- Post added March 31st, 2015 at 01:46 AM ----------

How old is it? Early models were sold as either metric or imperial, with no ability to switch. (Other than sending to Suunto.)

Not sure. Bought it used. It was owned by an instructor so it has seen quite a lot of use I think.

Last edited:
Hello,
There is a predecessor of the current Vyper which is green I believe (at least not Silver/Grey). This one does not have the option to change units but had to be purchased as metric or imperial variant... could this be the case here?

br, Hendrik

Hello,
There is a predecessor of the current Vyper which is green I believe (at least not Silver/Grey). This one does not have the option to change units but had to be purchased as metric or imperial variant... could this be the case here?

br, Hendrik

Ah, yes. It is a green one. Thank you for clearing that up.

Looks like if I want a backup DC I'll be diving in both units...

I have an older Vyper that can only be changed metric imperial using a PC cable. No menu option, but an easy fix via USB.Dave.

I have an older Vyper that can only be changed metric imperial using a PC cable. No menu option, but an easy fix via USB.Dave.

Thanks Dave. How do I connect a USB to the Vyper?

--edit--

I've found some instructional stuff on youtube. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Good luck with it. I had to borrow a cable as mine didnt come with one, and nearly gave up. The USB cable drivers can be a bit finicky.
If you have no luck with one computer, try another...

Thanks Dave. How do I connect a USB to the Vyper?

--edit--

I've found some instructional stuff on youtube. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Hi,
Did you manage to change that setting?
I consider to buy a used Vyper but it is with imperial units and it is critical to me if I can switch it to metric.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom