Apeks Zeagle Flathead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

claymore

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Did Apeks make the early Flathead first stages for Zeagle or were the Fatheads always produced by Zeagle? I thought that the Apeks made Zeagles were rebranded Apeks regs and that rhe Flatheads were a Zeagle manufactured reg.

Thanks for any information.

From memory, Zeagle distributed Apeks regulators under their own brand until 2000. After 2000 Apeks was distributed in the US by Sea Quest (Aqualung) using the Apeks brand.

Zeagle used different names for the regulators than their Apeks counterparts. For example the Apeks TX-50 was called the Zeagle Tech-50D. It could have been possible that the Apeks TX-100 was sold in the US as the Zeagle Flathead.

To my knowledge Apeks never made any of the new model Zeagles. If the first stage looks like a current Apeks model then it was made by Apeks. If not then it was made by Zeagle (or whoever they subcontract to, if any).

It could have been possible that the Apeks TX-100 was sold in the US as the Zeagle Flathead.

I own this reg, bought it used, had it rebuilt, and employ it as a deco reg. It was named ‘Flathead 6‘ by Zeagle.
The owner‘s manual is here - http://www.frogkick.dk/manuals/zeagle/Owner Manuals/

The newer FH6, the one with the black ring around the first stage, was post-2000, and manufactured by Zeagle. There is no difference between the pre-2000 Zeagle/Apeks and the TX100/FST of the time.

Last edited:
From memory, Zeagle distributed Apeks regulators under their own brand until 2000. After 2000 Apeks was distributed in the US by Sea Quest (Aqualung) using the Apeks brand.

Zeagle used different names for the regulators than their Apeks counterparts. For example the Apeks TX-50 was called the Zeagle Tech-50D. It could have been possible that the Apeks TX-100 was sold in the US as the Zeagle Flathead.

To my knowledge Apeks never made any of the new model Zeagles. If the first stage looks like a current Apeks model then it was made by Apeks. If not then it was made by Zeagle (or whoever they subcontract to, if any).

I believe you are correct regarding post-2000.

I think that the Flathead VI was Zeagle's first "home grown" regulator, was not made / designed by Apeks, and was in fact designed by Zeagle using the knowledge they had gained with their long experience with the Apeks 1st's... Zeagle I believe set out to "improve" the design to correct what they saw as problems, and the Flathead VI was the result.

Terrific 1st stage by the way; I have two.

Best wishes.

What is confusing is that Zeagle sold a "Flathead Six" (Apeks) and a "Flathead VI" (Zeagle). One of the advantages that Zeagle build in that most (if not all) of their regulators have replaceable orifices. While on the Apeks line only the XTX-200 has that. Also I don't think Zeagle ever used the annoying 1/2 port that Apeks used on most of their first stages.

What is confusing is that Zeagle sold a "Flathead Six" (Apeks) and a "Flathead VI" (Zeagle). One of the advantages that Zeagle build in that most (if not all) of their regulators have replaceable orifices. While on the Apeks line only the XTX-200 has that. Also I don't think Zeagle ever used the annoying 1/2 port that Apeks used on most of their first stages.

Another advantage is that the FHVI uses a conical seat , that thing lasts forever. I think I replaced mine finally after about 200 dives on it just for the sake of replacement.

It gives a slightly mushy lockup but its un-derstructable :)

You can also use FHVI for self defense as it s build the way it can sustain a nuclear explosion.

I'll keep saying it.. the zeagles keep going.. going...going. I've been using my same hp seat for 3 years in my FH7 beater and I just blew 200cuft+ through it cleaning my house, car, and garage last weekend full blast...the FH7 had a pretty snowy white patina, was ice cold, and kept going, and afterwards still locked up and stabilized and rose 1psi after 30seconds... how do you beat that.. on a 3 year old seat.. which sees 4000-4200psi and I beat the hell out of it.

I also keep one in my living room with an hp100 as my 11yr old son has asthma so he uses it for his nebulizer. Another I keep in my car, and I have another right now on a 3L steel pumped to 4200 I was carrying around to dust off machinery with earlier. Its just a rock solid reg, and if I want to use it with my nail guns I'll dial it down to 100psi and do that as well...

I only rebuild it them I flood or see the din oring flatten as I figure the inner rings are in the same shape and then I O2 clean and coat all the innards with Tribolube EPO2 and keeps perfect. Even if you flood and blow water through it as the EPO2 is just worth it to keep everything from going nasty. I have 4, and I'm about to get another. I usually keep them all tuned to 137IP so I can swap my seconds without adjusting the 2nd's and use both apeks and zeagle 2nd's with them.

Back
Top Bottom