failure rate of Scuba equipment and BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Never had any gear failure in the water. I have caught a few things that would have been a failure in the water, but were fixable prior to going in. Things such as seals, low battery, etc... I haven't even seen a failure, on another person, other than a free flowing regulator, or equipment that was damaged during the dive. That said, I am pretty anal about the way I maintain my gear....I treat it as the life support equipment it is.

I have only had a leaking wing due to boat staff on a charter dive, pinching my bladder whilst moving the tank. had alternate reg do free flows when due for tune up(not service, but wear in time- like in the first 20 dives).

Was on a deep diving trip a week ago where the group had 1 wing failure during the dive, 1 reel failure during ascent and a camera "explode" after flooding the housing. All of these could have been prevented if better checks was followed pre-dive. Time to relook our checklists............

If you take care of your gear it is very unlikely that you will encounter any problems. I'd switch out O-rings every once in awhile, but other than that as long as you clean your gear you're good.

Funny you should ask - just had my first failure, thankfully not during a dive. Found a leak in my wing - a small puncture on the opposite side of the bladder from my lower dump valve. Looks like it got pinched. Fell on a rock two weekends ago during a rocky shore exit. Only 15 dives on my BCD, and 20 dives total. Just bailed off a boat trip this morning as a result - didn't feel like having the bladder fail more spectacularly at 90 feet.

had a spg start to go bad on our recent trip. noticed a large drop of water inside the faceplate at about day 4. by day 8 the drop had turned brown (rust from some exposed screws on the internal temperature gauge).

gauge continues to operate properly. am replacing it before next trip.

this was my original plastic sherwood gauge in a heavy rubber console. 26 years old.

had a spg start to go bad on our recent trip. noticed a large drop of water inside the faceplate at about day 4. by day 8 the drop had turned brown (rust from some exposed screws on the internal temperature gauge).

gauge continues to operate properly. am replacing it before next trip.

this was my original plastic sherwood gauge in a heavy rubber console. 26 years old.

i just had the same happening with an almost new (three month, 30 dives) Apeks SPG. Saw water in it after a cave dive, but it was still working. Replaced it the next day.

If you take care of your gear it is very unlikely that you will encounter any problems. I'd switch out O-rings every once in awhile, but other than that as long as you clean your gear you're good.

I do much more then that, I get a service on everything 200 dives or 2years- I check my gear before I leave home to make sure it's all good, that way after travelling an hour in a boat I can still dive that day, as I have more then 1 set of gear.

---------- Post added March 22nd, 2015 at 09:49 PM ----------

Funny you should ask - just had my first failure, thankfully not during a dive. Found a leak in my wing - a small puncture on the opposite side of the bladder from my lower dump valve. Looks like it got pinched. Fell on a rock two weekends ago during a rocky shore exit. Only 15 dives on my BCD, and 20 dives total. Just bailed off a boat trip this morning as a result - didn't feel like having the bladder fail more spectacularly at 90 feet.

Its easy enough to repair, keep some of this Tear-Aid Home in your reg bag, along with a multi-tool, mouthpiece, zipties and some spare O-rings.

I do my primary gear inspections after I clean my gear. My logic is that it is most likely to get damaged while diving or getting chucked in a pile after diving. Everything is wet so I can dunk and do a good bubble check, not wasting any air since I am using the dregs from a used tank. If I find something, I have oodles of time to fix before my next dive. Once cleaned, its stored nice and neat and unlikely to break on its own. Its not my only inspection, but the one where leaks and such are found.

Back
Top Bottom