Stuart Cove "Incident"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dumpsterDiver

Banned
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Would anyone else consider this an "incident"??

[video]https://uk.screen.yahoo.com/hammerhead-shark-tries-attack-diver-110000676.html[/video]

Nope - looks like normal predictable behaviour when some stupid human teases a hungry animal with food...

---------- Post added March 18th, 2015 at 10:17 PM ----------

I have seen pigeons in the city parks react the same way...

No incident. He's feeding the shark. He's got a fish in his hand.

Grab a snausage and do the same thing with most dogs. The result will be the same. They'll try to get the treat.

The shark is doing exactly what he wanted it to do.

I'm very impressed his breathing rate didn't go up that much during the 'Incident'.

But if you feed large sharks by hand. . .

Just Darwin trying to do his thing.

i think it would be interesting to have some "shark readers" chime in on this shark behaviour.

my read of the situation was of a "dog chasing a ball" as opposed to a "ravenous starving wolf tackling prey" but I could be totally wrong as I know very little about aggressive shark behaviour.

Underwater, I have only once been subjected to a shark chum. It was unannounced and I was pissed once I figured out what the dive op did.

I often get to see sharks behaving normally (T&C) and they cruise by slowly and check the divers out and then wonder off.

I have once witnessed a "spectacular" shark feed in the Bahamas. We were on land, the op chummed and then lured in "trained" sharks with bait on a rope. We got to see the shark attack the bait on the beach (above water) and it was a high action presentation.

The video depicts behaviour in between my two extremes. Which behaviour is "normal"?

Reactions: Jax
No incident. He's feeding the shark. He's got a fish in his hand.

Grab a snausage and do the same thing with most dogs. The result will be the same. They'll try to get the treat.

The shark is doing exactly what he wanted it to do.

Actually the dog would get him moving faster, breathing harder, and drop the treat or have to bandage some fingers.

Bob
--------------
No one likes a tease.

This is one of the worst feeding behaviors I've ever seen. You don't tease the fish with the bait, you leave it in the crate until you are ready to feed it. This feeder needs to be fired. The sharks are trained to come to food. They are attracted to the chum and the bait crate, but they get especially agitated when they can see/sense a piece of fish available to them. I spent a dive with Eli Martinez watching him feed. The feeding is just enough to keep the fish interested. You don't tease the fish with the bait, you don't keep the bait out for the fish to see and not eat, and you don't feed too much. The Bimini Hammerheads are actually pretty fat.

Wrong on many levels

Back
Top Bottom