Most affordable way to "go wide" the RX100?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ggibson

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all, I've been thinking about the RX100 series and how it's a pretty affordable, but capable UW camera. I've been shooting with an Olympus E-PL1 + 9-18mm in a flat port for a while now, but to really get the best out of that lens I'd need to add a semi-dome. So now I'm thinking about how the RX100 or RX100ii with a wet lens could be a potential alternative. What are the most affordable options to go for in that case? The meikon housings are intriguing and seem to have gotten a lot better in recent iterations. They're certainly a good price compared to other choices. Do wide angle wet lenses work well on these housings or is the meikon 67mm fisheye dome better to use? Anyone know?

I'm using the Fix ULW-28 wet lens on an Ike housing with the RX100. There are more expensive options out there, but I find it does a decent job.

3-Tree 11-15-14-02724.jpgSt. Lucia-01528.jpg St. Lucia-01774.jpg

Interesting that Reef photo says that wet lens doesn't work well with the RX100 because of the sensor size. Does it vignette?

Interesting that Reef photo says that wet lens doesn't work well with the RX100 because of the sensor size. Does it vignette?

That's kinda the info I got on them, also........Some told me it would vignette--but I really have no idea.........Interceptor121 needs to weigh in on this one....

EDIT..(lol I found it)-here's his blog site.....:
Sony RX100 Mark III

If you already have the 9-18mm and zoom gear, I think you would be very happy with that lens & camera if you added the proper dome port.

Adding the dome port would be a lot less expensive than buying a new camera, or a new housing, or a wet-mate wide-angle converter.

And when looking at wide angle lenses for Sony, please be aware that there are significant differences in the lens used on RX100 & RX100 M2 compared to the lens on the RX100 M3. That will add to the confusion when selecting a wide angle solution for that camera line.

If you already have the 9-18mm and zoom gear, I think you would be very happy with that lens & camera if you added the proper dome port.

Adding the dome port would be a lot less expensive than buying a new camera, or a new housing, or a wet-mate wide-angle converter.

And when looking at wide angle lenses for Sony, please be aware that there are significant differences in the lens used on RX100 & RX100 M2 compared to the lens on the RX100 M3. That will add to the confusion when selecting a wide angle solution for that camera line.

Thx, yeah I have also been considering getting the zen dome port for my 9-18mm. It seems to be on sale now for $375.

But I see some advantages to the RX100 setup:
- Able to swap lenses on a dive
- Much better video (1080p, stabilized)
- Higher resolution
- Better topside camera for me (more compact)

So I'm just trying to evaluate some of the price options for an RX100 setup that might be equivalent to an E-PL1+9-18 with or without the dome. I could sell the whole Olympus kit since I no longer use the 9-18mm except underwater.

One thing I was wondering about--Interceptor121 recommends against the RX100iii due to the new lens. But if I go with the Meikon housing + fisheye dome, it seems like I could get a ~24mm equivalent field of view. This seems a bit better than with the RX100ii with dome which would be only ~28mm. Is my thinking correct on this, or are there issues with this pair that I'm not thinking about?

I totally agree, just buy the Zen PEN dome port. You have an excellent camera with very fast AF and a better lens as well. By the time you by an RX-100II or II, housing and lens you're into $12-2000 pretty quickly.

The Melicon housings are so-so, we didn't like the construction quality, particularly the controls; you get what you pay for. The Fantasea FRX-100III is a better housing.

The Fix UWL-28 Lens works ok on the RX-100, 100II - but it depends a bit on the housing. We've gotten good results with the Sea & Sea MDX-RX100/II housing and so-so with Nauticam NA-RX100II. On the Nauticam it doesn't really vignette, but the corners are sort of weak. Won't work at all on the III.

Here's a shot with the S&S/UWL-28 Combo (by David Todd)

Crown of Thorns Eating
by Optical Ocean, on Flickr

I appreciate the thoughts and recommendations re the Olympus. I'm still considering both at this point due to the RX100 advantages above. Nice shot, by the way!

So it seems like if I go for the RX100ii, one possibility is:

RX100ii $600
Fantasea Housing $500
Fix UWL-28 $400

So total being $1500. I'm confused about the 0.41x conversion on the Fix lens though. Would this be wider than the Olympus 9-18mm+Zen port underwater? And does the Fix lens work on the Fantasea housing?

There is no Fantasea housing for the RX100II only the v III. So, no it doesn't work on that housing.

Oh, I see. What about the Ikelite RX100ii housing that RVBldr suggested with the Fix lens? Does that work without vignetting?

Would this be wider than the Olympus 9-18mm+Zen port underwater?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom