Votes: 15 62.5%
  • Fend for yourself, weakling!!!!!!!!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • See #5, wimp!!!!!!!!!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

theskull:
As it stands, the lawyers have nothing to lose and everything to gain even from the weakest case--
Right...ever heard of legal malpractice???

scubafool:
So what do you think?

Do lawsuits need to "expand" further, so as to allow people to protect themselves against & make more accountable the corporations, misfits, criminals, & other inconsiderate persons who would harm others?

Do lawsuiits need to stay at about the level where they are, as the curent level of civil litigation serves to keep in check those who would exploit others for their personal gain?

Should civil lawsuits be curbed from the present level?

Should civil lawsuits be severely restricted to all but the most egregious (sorry, couldn't resist the big word) of cases?

Should our society dispense with civil litigation altogether, another words, as long as it does not DIRECTLY PHYSICALLY WITH INTENT TO HARM affect another, too bad for you?
I think the poll should be expanded to include looser pays...

scubafool:
UP, feel free to remove the word "lawyers" from my poll. I removed it from my original post, but I have no idea how to remove it from my poll.

Afraid of Fish, I would very much like to think that I am able to count at least one lawyer (H2Andy) among my friends. This poll was created in hopes of causing a REAL debate & exchange of ideas concerning the current level of civil litigation in the United States.

Regards,

David

Man, I just tried to get people talking about the legal liability involved in helping another diver if they were injured, and you saw how that turned out. Do not have high hopes for this thread.

So far, by my count, a grand total of (one) 1 post that even remotely adresssed the original question asked.

It is my firm belief that, we already have more than enough laws in place. What we need to do is simply ENFORCE them!

Any gun owners on board? Ask any one of them their views on keeping guns out of criminals hands. The result? Honest and criminal record free citizens endure deeper regulations and longer waiting periods while the average criminal simply "aquires" a gun and creates havoc at random. This is not just another thread, its another website - type discussion.

A friend of mine lost his wife 3 years ago to 2 kids (17 & 16) drag racing. He and his wife was sitting at a light at the bottom of a hill. (ironically, about 600' from the Smith & Wesson handgun plant) The kids were racing to beat the other to the light, they came over the hill-literally airborne and landed in the back seat of his car. His wife was pushed into the dash, her chest crushed by the seat belt and died instantly. He never even had a chance to say goodbye. 32 years of marriage, building a life together, raising a family, enduring all of lifes problems together........gone in an instant.

You know what they got? Driver #1 got 1 year. Driver #2 got 6 months. BOTH had their sentences reduced by 50% because of overcrowding in the jails. They were/are both living trash, no job-no education-living off the state-and because they were "minority's" without a hope, they even had free representation in court. The b*stards barely even had insurance on their veh's. Of course the mothers came into court spitting tears and spewing what a bright future they had, and to spare them their lives.....neither had nothing more than their car and the crack in their pockets....

Anyways, I gotta stop before I start sayin things that will get me banned...

Enforce the laws in place....too many state reps are worried about justifying their existance by creating more and more regulations.

Seabear70:
Man, I just tried to get people talking about the legal liability involved in helping another diver if they were injured, and you saw how that turned out. Do not have high hopes for this thread.
Sorry but, no where does your post or topic refer to divers.

My mistake, I thought you were referring to the legal sytem in general.

mikswi:
It is my firm belief that, we already have more than enough laws in place. What we need to do is simply ENFORCE them!
Let's leave guns out of this before I get started. I live in St. Louis, one of 2 counties in Missouri that prevents me from getting a CCW permit in violation of state law...

The sad fact is that we are seeing more and more laws and less and less justice. We cannot expect to legislate crime out of existance, and as long as he guilty are protected from the consequences of their actions, then the obsenities that have plagued out streets will continue.

Unfortunately we are learning that under the current system of rules and their enforcement that all too often it is the innocent who are punished, and the guilty rewarded.

Far too often it is the guilty party that is willing to persue agressive litigation to seek recompense from an innocent for imagined slights and injuries. These people have no shame, and we all are paying for it, wether it be in court or on the streets. Any one who is willing to assist these sociapaths in their attempts to abuse the system and inflict damage upon this country, the people who live in it, and future generations shares in their guilt.

I am not saying that the accused does not deserve representation, I am saying that anyone who is willing to turn a blind eye to the guilt of a person they represent and aid that person in carrying on their assault of american society should be considered an accomplice. There should be no way for them to hide behind the protection of the law they have perverted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom