Votes: 15 62.5%
  • Fend for yourself, weakling!!!!!!!!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • See #5, wimp!!!!!!!!!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubafool

Contributor
Reaction score
So what do you think?

Do lawsuits need to "expand" further, so as to allow people to protect themselves against & make more accountable the corporations, misfits, criminals, & other inconsiderate persons who would harm others?

Do lawsuiits need to stay at about the level where they are, as the curent level of civil litigation serves to keep in check those who would exploit others for their personal gain?

Should civil lawsuits be curbed from the present level?

Should civil lawsuits be severely restricted to all but the most egregious (sorry, couldn't resist the big word) of cases?

Should our society dispense with civil litigation altogether, another words, as long as it does not DIRECTLY PHYSICALLY WITH INTENT TO HARM affect another, too bad for you?

Oh, & PLEASE, no holdovers from the closed thread. Ya'll hit upon a point that is well worth discussing, but it was drowned in the animosity & hyperbole. Remember, kind & gentle, will prevail (maybe, we hope).

*sigh* This sounds vaguley familiar. I guess people just want to beat down the lawyers today.

Good luck to all attorneys on this site. You're gunna need it.

<33 Jess

We all know my position on this, and likely everyone knows that I would take issue with the wording used in the poll.

I take issue with the title of the thread... eliminating the word lawyers would go a long way toward keeping this thread from attracting posts that bash a particular group of people. If that happens you loose your thread.

Yes so be good everyone! Let's see if we can have a mature conversation, with facts and opinion (and the respecting of opinions) and the absence of stereotypes.

Afraid_of_Fish:
Yes so be good everyone! Let's see if we can have a mature conversation, with facts and opinion (and the respecting of opinions) and the absence of stereotypes.

Um, I'm gonna limit my participation in this thread, but I just had to say something here...

Just because a description is a stereotype does not make it wrong. It normally is, and there are almost always exceptions, but it is not automatically wrong.

Since the lawyers always get paid, they are willing to file even the silliest most frivolous lawsuits in which people are willing to participate. If the losing lawyers bore some of the financial responsibility to recompense those unjustly accused and their legals costs much of this would be solved right now. As it stands, the lawyers have nothing to lose and everything to gain even from the weakest case--and fully expect most of them to be settled out of court for outrageous fees just because of the terrible expense of defending oneself from junk lawsuits.

theskull

theskull:
Since the lawyers always get paid, they are willing to file even the silliest most frivolous lawsuits in which people are willing to participate. If the losing lawyers bore some of the financial responsibility to recompense those unjustly accused and their legals costs much of this would be solved right now. As it stands, the lawyers have nothing to lose and everything to gain even from the weakest case--and fully expect most of them to be settled out of court for outrageous fees just because of the terrible expense of defending oneself from junk lawsuits.

theskull

AMEN!!!!

UP, feel free to remove the word "lawyers" from my poll. I removed it from my original post, but I have no idea how to remove it from my poll.

Afraid of Fish, I would very much like to think that I am able to count at least one lawyer (H2Andy) among my friends. This poll was created in hopes of causing a REAL debate & exchange of ideas concerning the current level of civil litigation in the United States.

Regards,

David

Back
Top Bottom