Show us your kung-fu skills in trimming out Faber cylinders.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kr2y5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Some nay-sayers claim that Faber cylinders are butt-light and do not trim well... can you prove them wrong? Photo or video evidence required. Bonus points for looking fabulous at less than 500psi...

they don't trim well when you treat them like PST or Worthington tanks, treat them like AL80's and they're fine, this is highly rig dependent btw, they don't do so well in the Nomad XT because you can't get a D-ring on the waist strap where you need to when they're full because of the wing, but check Rob Neto's side out, there's a bunch of pictures of well trimmed faber tanks, 85's, 95's, 108's. There are also a bunch of pictures of Jon Bernot diving LP50's in perfect trim in the LT Cave

It's been quite a few years since I took kung fu, and these pics of me are a couple of years old. But these are the Faber 120s with a Stealth. One in a wetsuit, one dry. Just clip them to the front d-ring or slide the d-ring forward when they get light.

. IMG_0035.jpgIMG_0063.jpg

Crap, I wish I had pics of my PST 120's on my z harness. Rarely do we bring a camera for 2 foot vis though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! I've tightened up the bungees a bit since then, just to tuck the valves away nicer. Plus I got a set of Faber 85's. They ride almost like al80s. Pretty easy to dive with.

Faber 95's / 98's. My 108's are even sweeter but no pics yet.
mark basin3.jpgIMG_0389.jpgmark basin2.jpg

Been using Fabers for many years, and I actively sidemount Faber 80's, 85's, 95's, 108's, and 120's with no rig changes or convoluted sliding attachment points,without problems.

It's been quite a few years since I took kung fu, and these pics of me are a couple of years old. But these are the Faber 120s with a Stealth. One in a wetsuit, one dry. Just clip them to the front d-ring or slide the d-ring forward when they get light.

. View attachment 204621View attachment 204622

Looking pretty good, but those appear to be FX117s (8" dia) rather than FX120s. The 120s are very long and skinny. If I were sidemounting one of mine, the base would be down past my knees.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My bad! You're correct. After looking at the spec sheets, these are indeed the 117s. I got sidetracked by the 120 stamped on the tank.

IMG_1101.jpg

Anyhow, to me, an extra d-ring up front, or the rubber d-ring on the Stealth, doesn't seem like a convoluted attachment point. Actually, both seem like pretty simple solutions.

Back
Top Bottom