Which tank valves do you like for sidemount, and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Backmount setup rotated 180 sans the manifold: first stages towards the body, valves pointing outside (modular Thermo).

I can see the bungies slipping of that way.

Me too! So, what attachment system do you use, and what kind of valves do you prefer for that?

Valves are sold. I run my SM tanks with the handles out and regs pointing down. It's the way I was taught in my SM class with Doppler and it works well. The modular valves had that stem sticking out towards the middle of my chest. I just did not like them. I prefer a valve like the ones I get and sell from HOG.

I run my SM tanks with the handles out and regs pointing down.

Could you please share the reasoning behind having regs pointing down? Also, just to clarify: by "pointing down" do you mean that the valve blows air away from you, and sits between you and the reg, or do you mean something else? Are you using the right backmount tank as your right or left sidemount tank?

I like my modular valves, I've never noticed them in the water. I like thermo. Easy to get parts, service, and they look nice. My handles are up and out 45°, 1st stages are in. And I wrap from the outside around the post. I dive al80's so that way gives me the best rotation in on my cylinder.

Could you please share the reasoning behind having regs pointing down? Also, just to clarify: by "pointing down" do you mean that the valve blows air away from you, and sits between you and the reg, or do you mean something else? Are you using the right backmount tank as your right or left sidemount tank?

It's so I can loop the bungees around the tank valve handle. If your SM tanks are correctly positioned the regs are still protected by your chest. If they are hanging lower than that your tanks are too high up on your body. Meaning the valves are too low and more than likely the tanks are out of trim. They should be as close to the line of your body as possible. I can still pull down on them and check my valves/regs, but I really only need to see my SPG's during the dive. Since they are lollipopped on 6 inch hoses I can normally just glance down and see them. My valves sit more or less in my armpits when the bungees are attached. Right now I am only diving steel tanks.

I started another thread about using inline valves. I am about to try it next week for sidemounted bailouts. It seems no one does this, so I'll have to report back.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

The reg up or reg down with the knob pointed out is a good item to debate. The instructor who taught me and I believe who Doppler has spent alot if time with runs his tanks with the regs facing down and the knob pointed out. He also maunly dives the old Genesis hp 100's with the angled valves and this works great. He also turns his spg's out and with the angled valves thay are pointing up where they don't drag. With non angled valves the spg's have a tendency to point slightly down when lollipoped due to the angle of most hp ports on regulators. He doesn't like the regs pointing up because he says the regs are in your armpits. I am thinking about changing the way my tanks are facing so that the reg is up and the valve knobs are facing out. I think this will help with the spg's dragging when they are lollipoped. I don't have any angled valves and as the caves I dive keep getting smaller the bigger problem I am having with my spg's dragging. I jyst need to take a day and go try it out instead of cave diving every chance I get.

I use modular. First stages pointed towards me. Valve handles up and the modular part pointed down. It is what I use to bungie around. How I was taught and it's worked for me. I tried other ways and it's just confusing and stressful for me. I point my spg's out front. They end up on my chest. Just look down and pilot out a little. Again how I was taught. Plus it's the only way I've been able to see them! Again I have tried other ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom