Difficulty Reaching Loop Bungee???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a temporary solution, i've resorted to clipping a double ender from the loop bungee to my shoulder D ring during kitting up, and unclipping it when adding the cylinders.... it works, but there must be a better way surely?

this is exactly what i did. i had the same issue. couldn't find/reach the loops when in full cold water gear. problem i found was if i left the bungee in the bolt snap it pulled the dring too tight to my chest and made the dring almost unusable. i did not want to add another dring to my shoulder straps so i just use the double snap to hold the bungee in place to find easy. then remove it once the bungee is on the valve. i will keep the snaps clipped off on my tail ring or elsewhere. that way if i break a bungee loop, i can use the double snap to clip the loop around the neck of the tank to a dring to complete the dive.

I've been experimenting with the ring bungie on a direct ring on the bolt snap instead of attached via a quick link. It pulls the tank a tad closer making trim better but requires adjusting the bungie.

This is what I use for my loop bungees. I made these slides on the water jet and they allow me to fasten the bungees and a chest strap so that there is an even pull on the slide and the d ring is free for the top clip and any other accessories. They also allow me to just slide my thumbs into the loop to get them. Clip the bungees to the hip d rings on each side until I get ready to clip the tanks. Then move from the hip to the chest. The ones on the rig are version one. Version two shown has bigger loops and will also accommodate a 1 inch webbing chest strap. I've made a few of version two for other people and right now have several sets on hand that I sell. .100 Stainless Steel, waterjet cut. They need a little deburring on some of them but that's easily fixed with a dremel or even a palm sander with 250 grit or better paper. 300 makes them very nice. They have the real rough stuff knocked off already with a nylon wheel embedded with abrasive. The idea is to keep the pull on the d ring (or in this case the slide) even and not have the shoulder straps get torqued. They work well for adding a chest strap to a BPW as well and provide an extra loop to clip something off. My drings get a lot less cluttered when carry multiple stages, back up lights, or a temporary home for another accessory.

. 20150225_161017[1].jpg20150225_161003[1].jpg20150225_161111[1].jpg

I like to keep it simple, so use drop loops from Highseas Millworks as bungee retainers for my Stealth, Manta, and Armadillo rigs. Works with AL80's or cave-filled LP-85s or LP-95s.

Dave

Attachments

• drop_loop.jpg
    drop_loop.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 448
Last edited:
That's what I've been using for years. Simple and easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you and loquat149 still clip off the neck of the bottle to somewhere for security and for walking?

Yes, each cylinder has a small bolt snap attached to the neck/valve via a short leash that clips to each shoulder D-ring. I keep it simple, no chest strap and only 1 chest D-ring on each shoulder strap.

Dave

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410782480.077821.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410782480.077821.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 409
I don't walk with mine so the answer is no When I start SM in the ocean I will. Just to make it easier to take off and hand up to the crew. I will be using LP50's then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, each cylinder has a small bolt snap attached to the neck/valve via a short leash that clips to each shoulder D-ring. I keep it simple, no chest strap and only 1 chest D-ring on each shoulder strap.

Dave
OK, so stupid question.... do you leave the boltsnap attached whilst in the water, at the same time as the loop bungee is attached or do you unclip from the shoulder D ring and let it "hang" from the cylinder during the dive?

If i'm walking on the surface, i use a loop of chord around the neck, and connect it with a double ender to the D ring, leaving the loop bungee un-attached..... once in the water, i unclip the double ender, remove it from the loop and stow on my butt D ring, then attach the loop bungee...... at the end of the dive, reverse the process.... detach loop bungee, re-clip chord around cylinder neck to shoulder D ring with double ender.

This way i have the security of a solid connection on the surface, no dangly bits in the water and benefits of loop bungee not being hindered by a solid connection point, during the dive phase.....

Back
Top Bottom