Accident in Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks DD this is giving people who don't normally dive where this technique is used an idea of what is going on and why it is so important to be ready and follow the dive brief.

When I am on "An away trip" I always try to adhere closely to the directions of those who Know the procedures. Seems to me the easiest way to get into trouble is to insist the way you do things "at home" is the best process and ignore the directions of the locals. :) that said I always try to make sure that I have connected with a diver experienced in the area in advance. I like to have things worked out in advance. Failing that I think hiring a personal DM seems like a good option. I believe this attitude is what has helped me stay safe so far.

I realize this isn't the forum for this, but; I just want to relay that Gary McNabb has passed away.
I got the notification tonight on FB from his family and friends. RIP friend, we'll miss you!
I hope more info/facts will come to light so we may all learn what factors contributed to this tragic event
and hopefully prevent a repeat.

Fellow divers 2/27/2015 Dad (Gary) passed away.
I would like to say the love of diving was only a part of the deep passion my dad had for the sport of diving the true factor was the people that which through the common interest of diving all of you was his family Therefore let's please as a family . Use This forum as it was meant a tool of communication between all us for purpose sharing ,teaching and advancing the saftey and sport of diving.
To all of you we send or love and thanks for being a the true part of my dads passion of life.

Having run a dive boat for years, this is what I like to do to avoid hitting divers with the boat or prop. If you are boat diving you should look for similar boat handling to ensure your safety. Approach the dive site running down wind, not crosswind or upwind. When on site reverse the boat until it comes to a complete stop. Put engine in neutral or shut off. Give the signal to dive. Because the boat is pointing downwind it will drift cleanly away from the divers without pivoting, as it would running cross wind or upwind. Divers should also be picked up running downwind, also because the boat will drift straight and not pivot the bow, thereby smashing the divers or running them over.

Having run a dive boat for years, this is what I like to do to avoid hitting divers with the boat or prop. If you are boat diving you should look for similar boat handling to ensure your safety. Approach the dive site running down wind, not crosswind or upwind. When on site reverse the boat until it comes to a complete stop. Put engine in neutral or shut off. Give the signal to dive. Because the boat is pointing downwind it will drift cleanly away from the divers without pivoting, as it would running cross wind or upwind. Divers should also be picked up running downwind, also because the boat will drift straight and not pivot the bow, thereby smashing the divers or running them over.

I like your technique suggestion, but as to the neutral gear option, I will just say that I have been on several boats that were IN NEUTRAL, but on getting in to the water, I saw first hand that a prop was still engaged. It was not making the boat go fast backwards, but this is a dangerous scenario if everyone thinks the boat is actually in neutral ( but is not).

Perhaps this is more of an issue when you have 2 props, and one can shift out of gear, and fool the captain in to thinking that the boat IS actually out of gear. A transmission that is not working properly on a boat can happen. There is always something going wrong with most boats :)

Running downwind is actually best before the drop.

Stopping the boat completely using reverse is just one more cycle of wear and tear on the boat- that some people may want to avoid. Shutting the engine off is certainly safest from the standpoint of diver versus prop, because even if you left it in gear, the engine is off. Again this is one more cycle of starting the engine - AND if you have only one engine.. and it doesn't start up, your divers may not be happy with you and the "net" safety benefit of shutting down the engine may not be significant- because you may not be able to recall or pick up your divers.

The problem with running downwind before the drop is that this is not always practical depending on the sea state, the currents and also the intended target the divers are trying to hit (e.g., depth, current velocities and size of wreck or reef). Trying to completely stop the boat, is somewhat beneficial in that it helps to keep the divers close together when entering the water. However, when it is rough and windy, the boat will begin to accelerate from the wind pretty quickly, so the benefit of stopping completely may not be huge and if everyone doesn't exit the boat immediately, you still end up with people bailing off a boat that is moving to some degree.

Terrible to hear of another diver being killed by a boat. I wonder if we can learn anything from it?

I am certainly learning about things to consider when diving from a boat. Considering that this contributed to the death of a very experienced diver I think discussing this aspect is of great value. Thanks to the boat captains for your insights!

Following up on this matter, I am set for a diving excursion with Hugh Parkey from a cruise ship next week. Does anyone know the standard operating procedure (if there is one) following a fatality with a dive op in Belize? Are they shut down for a while for an investigation? ...

The accident didn't occur with Hugh Parkey so you probably won't have any issues.

---------- Post added March 4th, 2015 at 07:37 AM ----------

I wasn't there so I don't know the facts but there is a scathing review of Ramon's Village Divers on Trip Advisor posted by a woman from Brazil who witnessed the accident. She says that the first aid equipment was incomplete and the dive crew were not prepared to handle the emergency. She also said that after the accident no one talked to her or her husband about it or asked for their account.

terrible accident bad crew and equipment - Review of Ramon's Village Divers, San Pedro, Belize - TripAdvisor

It is possible that such a terrible injury would be overwhelming for the dive crew and greatly exceed their equipment and training - but it doesn't sound good.

I think that KWinter gave good advice in telling us to check out the status of emergency equipment and communication options before going out with any dive boat:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/accidents-and-incidents/501563-accident-belize-2.html#post7348221

---------- Post added March 4th, 2015 at 06:29 PM ----------

This post from McNair on divebuddy suggests that the prop was NOT running when the accident happened:

This is very sad news. Details on the accident below. Gary McNabb, the former owner of Leisure Time

"This is very sad news. Details on the accident below.

Gary McNabb, the former owner of Leisure Time Dive and Ski Center in Chattanooga,
is no longer with us. He passed away in a head trauma center in San Antonio, TX
last Friday night, February 27 at approximately 8pm from a severe head injury that
occurred during a dive trip to Belize. The group was about to begin their dive
off of a 45 ft. long vessel in very high and rough seas with Gary being the first to
"splash". Eye witnesses on the boat said that no sooner he hit the water, the stern of the boat rose very high in the water pulling him under it.
When the stern came back down, the two collided with the end result of Gary being hit by
the prop. He underwent emergency neurosurgery and intensive care in Belize City
before being transferred to a medical evacuation flight and flown to the head
trauma center in San Antonio.

Gary had failed to check on the status of his medical diving insurance policy
through DAN before he headed to Belize. His policy had expired at the end of
January. A special fund raising website has been created to help pay for the
medical and evacuation costs which I have been told are astronomical. If you
would like to help, please go to de.gofund.me/nezvuw."

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom