finally trying my steel 72's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rick00001967

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
so after 2 months of trying to get my tanks ready and prep them for SM, i finally got into the pool last night with two steel 72's (rated at 2250psi). i had previously been using store rentals (2400psi worthington 77's). what a difference. i was hoping they would be better and many here said these tanks would work well.
they were infinitely easier to manage in the water. i didn't even dislocate my shoulders trying to clip them off. haha i was a bit surprised how tail light they actually were. at about 2000 psi they were barely negative at the tail. messed up my trim. i usually have heavy feet but found i was a lot more head heavy with these.
just for info sake....i did not have a hood on and even though i had my dry suit on, i had no undies (to avoid over heating). so i am sure adding these items will change things some what. may try full gear next time to see how it affects trim before i change anything in the rigging.
i was also surprised i did not need to use the square drings on my butt. i moved them to the waist drings and they layed much better.
lots of time to play with these before spring time and i look forward to trying different options. hopefully i will be able to post some video soon for you all to criticize.....i mean....to enjoy watching. lol can't wait to get wet next week

Yes, the old steel 72s get butt light pretty quickly in sidemount configuration. They're still wonderful tanks, as you're discovering. You just need a second set of rings further forward on your waist strap, as you would with Alu 80s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am using a pair of Faber LP50s and am considering putting a 1 or 2# weight on each tank as well as they get very tail light by the end of the dive. Overall trim wasn't necessarily an issue but they do tend to really stick upward near the end of the dive

i can see now why many people opt to add the weights the tanks. i really want to avoid this if at all possible. for me at this point it is not an issue as far as getting the tanks to trim out. it is more of an issue trying to get my entire body to trim out. as was stated above.....treating the tanks like allum 80's as far as moving the waist dring position is all that is needed to get the tanks to lay where you want them. but so far, the only way to get my feet down is to use my ankle weights. and i would love to be able to avoid this as well. for now it will have to do. either that or i need jet fins. and for me this is just not an option.
we are going ice diving today and i have changed some things a bit in hopes of solving the trim issue. i will report back to let you know if it works.....or not.
ps.....sorry no video has been posted. my UW camera housing is broken (cuz i'm an idiot) and one of my buddies had planned on joining me in the pool to shoot some with his. unfortunately it just hasn't worked out.

I have a 2# weight on the camband on each of mine. I have neoprene covering over it to help prevent snagging. Has worked well for me. Side mount

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom