SSI Divers - What do to about your dive logs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can also go to an art store and get a small 4" x 6" black hardbound blank sketch book and write anything you want. Does it have to have lines, boxes and places to put things?
You can have a whole library of these things eventually and write nicely on the end with a gold roller paint pen.
They look just like a regular hard bound book, but the paper is archival quality and a nice weight.
Save On Discount Cachet Classic Black Cover Hardbound Sketchbooks & More Hardcover Sketchbooks at Utrecht

I second the pages from dive-logs.com. I use the SSI form factor for my dive-logs, and my wife uses a three-ring version. You can save the profile for later order for replacements. We've also learned to spend the extra for the write-in-rain. Another plus is that you can customize the pages for your liking. I get two per page, and my wife gets four per page.

Don't get too bent over it being PADI or SSI or any other dive agency. Its about recording the dive and having someone sign it. I have a small hard bound book and everything is written in by hand and its acceptable. They want you to spend heaps on their "BOOKS" but it has no validity. A signed book in hand writing has the same validity as a $20/20 dive book made by SSI or PADI.

Don't get sucked in by the hype.

I actually didn't like any logbook layout I saw. I ended making my own with the information that was important to me. Over time I added some info and discarded others. It's been pretty stable for a few years. I agree with the above - it's the record that's important, not the format.

When diving abroad I wouldn't want to take more than 1 logbook, but I was worried about them not being able to validate my previous dives if I didn't copy them over? Am I over-complicating things?

I have what I call a "working logbook", basically at the end of every calendar year I transfer all my log pages to my archive binders and start new pages for the new year.

I print my own custom pages to match my diving, mainly because I list what photographic gear I use on each dive as well as exposure protection, temperature, weight, gas consumption etc.

I use the SSI log pages because I like the compact size. Note that if you print your own they may not be damp proof.

I carry a binder with a few of the last dives, a few blank pages, and pages listing all the wet suit/tank types/fresh or salt, weighting I have used over the years. All the old pages go into a larger binder at home. I also keep an xcel spread sheet version of the log book on line.

I have had the book checked a couple times when taking courses but that was it. So far all dive ops have been happy with either my word or the appropriate cert card.

I almost never get stamps and do not always get it signed. The log book is for my reference and records these days.

The log book is based on honesty. Yes people can cheat and make up a log showing say 1000 dives, but I bet it will not reflect in their actual diving. I judge people firstly on their "number of dives", but then mainly on their actual actions both out and in the water.

"The proof is in the eating of the pudding, not in the written recipe."

I created my own log book - but after about 100 dives I started logging trips (and the number of dives and what not on that trip) as opposed to each individual dive.

In the end, the dive log is for you, so use whatever format you like. I keep my c-cards and the last 100 or so dives in the book I carry, the rest go in a file folder. SSI's compact format doesn't fit any standard book you will find, so you will probably want to change if you want a paper log. Most times, dive operators want to know what you've done recently, so you won't need to go back more than a year. Some courses with SSI have an experience requirement, and SSI has experience level cards as well, so you'll need to keep up with the number of dives you have. Also, if you want to go the instructor route, the number of dives you have will be checked!

I personally like the personal and impressive look of bound dive log books written in pen, salt, and water stains sitting on my bookshelf.
It's also gives me a good boast to hand those over to fellow divers who are curious.

Yes that was Dive #26, when I got into the Monterey Bay Kelp Forest Tank for the first time.
That was dive #134, when a male sea otter tried to mount me.
That was Dive #101, when my buddies tried to strip me because I skipped the naked dive #100 ritual.

I have a Trident (generic) dive log Binder and Moleskin bound journals for my dive logs.
You can find SSI dive logs on google images and print those. If the resolution is crap, Copy one of your cleanest filled pages and white out the image in Paint, GIMP, or any photo editing software, then save and print.

Print them on heavy paper like those found in a Sketchbook, and you'll be pretty safe from water spills tearing apart your pages. Or go with Rite in Rain water resistant paper

Back
Top Bottom