Diving the CGV Ready

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaleC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A short video of last weekends dive at Britannia Beach with Kerry Michelle and Eric.

[video=youtube;JNtfDUhwA4Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNtfDUhwA4Q&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Amazing footage! The visibility and light looks great, the last two times I went it was green and murky as hell x.x

Yep, vis is a crap shoot. We were pretty lucky. I've dived it when the vis was so bad you find it by bumping into it.

How long has that been down? Not much growth. Isn't that salt water or is it fresh?

Nice video.

Hi Keith, I think it has been 5-8 years? I really don't know. It was tied up to the pilings near shore and sank under "mysterious" circumstances. It actually settled against another boat, a wooden fishing seiner that is deteriorating fast. There isn't a lot of growth in that area regardless. Britannia Beach is at the terminus of the Howe Sound and there is very little flushing there to bring nutrients. The site was also very polluted by tailings from the mine for many years and is a bit of a success story as far as contaminant cleanup is concerned. Britannia Beach was famous in the early part of the last century when most of the town was swept away by a torrent of water from a debris dam giving way above in the mountains. Just google Britannia beach natural disaster.

Also, just north of this site is a dive called the Britannia Wall. This is a large wooden structure that was originally an old barge filled with rock and used as part of a breakwater/land reclamation project. BC's first recorded submerged landslide took place there and swept part of the barge away, leaving the remaining hull standing like a big wooden wall. Now life inhabits its many crevices.

I've had that for awhile. It's a Big Blue VL1800. I'm wanting another so I can fill/back light. This one is mounted on the camera right now instead of a goodman glove. I find it is giving better illumination that way but makes my camera rig a bit awkward/top heavy. Not that I'm complaining after holding my buddies DSLR rig (yikes).
Dove the Ready and Cape Swain again today with members of the Fraser Valley Dive Club. Vis was so/so at first but decreasing as time went on.

Yep, vis is a crap shoot. We were pretty lucky. I've dived it when the vis was so bad you find it by bumping into it.
Dove there once, super murky. And I literally hit my head on the bow. "oh look, a boat! Now where is my buddy??" (rocketing to the surface) end dive 15 minutes into it. [emoji3]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom