Lawyers Evil or Saints?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seabear70:
Now, I didn't start this thread. I made some comments in another thread and a lawyer wanted them removed from where he thought they would do the most harm to his profession, so he put them here.QUOTE]

I think (some) of your views on lawyers are very stereotypical. My school is basicly run by lawyers, my headmaster, asst. headmistress, dean of students etc., are all lawyers. As such, when we are training for Mock Trial, our team is brought into Boston and we meet with different Lawyers and judges, and they show us some 'tactics' we can use to argue our 'case'. Thus, I have met many, many lawyers and I did not find any of them to be 'scum bags', or 'unethical' as seabear so graciously called them.

However, I'm confident there are 'bad' lawyers, just as there are 'bad' doctors who rape their patients, or charge them too much. My point is this: every profession has it's dirtballs. To some people, I think, lawyers just seem like sleezes because they are taught to be able to argue either side of a n arguement, and to be able to use facts to prove the guilt/innocense of the defendant. This, however, does not mean that they will all represent a client they know to be guilty merely because they could argue that case, but think of it like this, someone has to represent the murderers, drug dealers, rapist etc. "You have the right to an attorney, if you can not afford one, one will be appointed to you". Maybe you think it's a stupid law, but it is a law, nonetheless.

But what do I know, I'm just a kid.

<33 Jess

Having skipped most of the third page of the thread as it got a bit boring, I have to say Andy, I am a bit suprised that you allowed someone to troll you for being a lawyer. It was a dumb *** post that you should have ignored.

On the other hand, one of the best emial newsletters I recieve is the truestellarawards letter that publishes trivial and absurd lawsuits. It shows that there are some trully bizzare examples of people blaming others for their own stupdity and unscrupulous lawyers that do not work for justice, rather for profit and greed.

Thankfully I feel that the stupidity of litigation has peaked with the Macdonalds coffee suit, and people are realizing that lack of comon sense is not a reason for multi million dollar settlements.

cancun mark:
Thankfully I feel that the stupidity of litigation has peaked with the Macdonalds coffee suit, and people are realizing that lack of comon sense is not a reason for multi million dollar settlements.

I take it you didn't hear about the guy suing McD's because he was fat?

I don't know what I find more bizarre about that one, the law suit, the Law Profesor on TV explaining why it'd McD's fault, or the fact that it got thrown out.

Let's face it, in an era where Lawyers have successfully argued to ban a list of people who do not want to be harrassed for money and who are not going to spend money on the products they are hawking, I seriously doubt we have seen an end to the insanity.

Afraid_of_Fish:
But what do I know, I'm just a kid.

<33 Jess
You are a kid, that is true. But you are just as entitled to make value judjements as the rest of us.

I know that there are some good people in the legal profession, I really do not doubt that. Unfortunately the Bad lawyers have managed to drag a lot of good ones into their cesspool.

Here's something that you may come to understand in the future. Agressive people make the rules for everybody else. I tel you that because it is true, and it explains how a few bad lawyers can create the mess our system is in. These bad lawyers are very agressive.

Seabear70:
I made some comments in another thread and a lawyer wanted them removed from where he thought they would do the most harm to his profession, so he put them here.

ah... no

i moved the posts to this new thread because your lawyer
comments and my responses were hijacking the O2 thread.

and, you know, i may be naive, but seriously... "do most
harm" to my profession?

lol.

i think we lawyers have such a bad reputation already
there is little that could "harm" our reputation anymore.

H2Andy:
i think we lawyers have such a bad reputation already
there is little that could "harm" our reputation anymore.

Good point, though there is much that could be done to improve it.

Seabear70:
This may be of benefit to anyone who wants to know how this thread got started.

as if this is any secret... read back through this thread
and you will find me SAYING THE SAME THING OVER AND OVER:

this thread got started so as to not to hijack the O2 thread

or so i told you here

and here

and yet again here

jeeez... a little reading comprehension :crafty:

H2Andy:
as if this is any secret... read back through this thread
and you will find me SAYING THE SAME THING OVER AND OVER:

this thread got started so as to not to hijack the O2 thread

jeeez... a little reading comprehension :crafty:

That was in response to a post about me having started this thread, which I do not believe I did, or at least did not do intentionally. The post that I was responding to was edited to remove any reference to what I was responding to. Considring he's a card carrying liberal, I should have expected that.

FOLKS... this thread is closed.

Attacking any class, race, gender, political affiliation, religious persuasion or even occupation is contrary to spirit of our Terms Of Service... which you've no doubt all read before agreeing to them and being given posting privileges here.

If you have any complaints about the closure of this thread send them to me via PM and I will forward them to my lawyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom