no-go sites for Mass lobstering?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phishphood

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, so I"m going to try to actually get out and bag some lobsters this year. That being said, and as many know I'm relatively new to the area, are there any places I should generally avoid lobstering in to avoid confrontation? Based off what I know of people and fishermen, things can get a little heated and quickly spiral out of control so any suggestions of places to NOT go? Or would it be generally better to just avoid diving anywhere near where there is >1 pot buoy? I'm not too interested in the debate about how divers do/don't affect lobster traps, just trying to save myself some aggravation and possible safety infractions. Thanks guys.

Phish,

I've never had any problems with lobstermen. I dive on Cape Cod which is not congested with pots like the North Shore. I dive off a boat and when anchoring make sure I'm not in the middle of pot city and leave a good amount of distance to the nearest pot. I think up in Cape Ann (Gloucester, Rockport area) there were some pretty harsh restrictions placed on divers several years ago. One restriction was having to be 25' away from a pot. To me it seemed crazy. Not sure if these restrictions are still in place. Anyways, I give respect to the working lobsterman and do my best to stay away from his gear. On the other hand, If I ever do have a problem with a lobsterman, he's going to be spending a lot of time, effort, and money looking for his gear.

If you are thinking of diving the North Shore - have a look at this prior thread. All I can say is tread with caution as some folks are not well-educated with respect to the law and no amount of being courteous, thoughtful or careful will prevent a encounter with a nutty Rockport, or Gloucester crazy person. Just for kicks - hang around the scenic Lanes Cove area and some nut will eventually drive down and have a look at you from their car. It borders on very, very creepy.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...va-fox-lobster-boat.html?highlight=lanes+cove

Commercial guys will usually string their pots in a long line ....just avoid anchoring near that line......recreation guys usually cluster.....Where their are lobsters you going to encounter pots, Even though morning is an excellant time to go the Com guys are pulling

This is true.....Great jetty close by the plant.....But many great spots all around that area.....Watch boat traffic!

I worked on a Comm lobster boat for a year and have been a Rec diver/trapper for them for years. The entire mentality of Comm guys is: EVERY lobster is theirs, EVERY area is theirs and the OCEAN is theirs. So, there aren't really any "safe" areas. That being said, if you avoid diving early in the morning when they usually haul, try to keep away from the floats and wave politely when they pass you, it will be a more pleasant experience.
Understand though that they are trying to haul the pots as fast as they can and therefore won't be really interested in avoiding your flag or going no-wake speed past you. They will likely greet you with a one finger wave and yell some obscenities.

I work on a dive charter that runs out of Boston Harbor and also shore dive frequently in Cape Ann (Gloucester/Rockport) so here is my 2 cents.

At least around Boston harbor islands, most of my recent encounters with lobstermen have been mainly positive, provided you're not in the middle of their pot lines while they're hauling. We've helped a few unfoul line from their props or locate lost pots; I figure the good will is a nice gesture.

I simply try not to surface near their buoys if I can help it and I try not hang out "near" their pots underwater if I can avoid it. Just use common sense and common courtesy when anchoring boat. This is easier said than done, especially up in Cape Ann where there is a much greater density of lobster pots.

The rivalry doesn't "seem" as bad as it used to be a while back but there are still some bad eggs out there (on both sides) so be careful.

It can be a little more heated up in Cape Ann where you have a large number of lobster pots and lobster boats. I've had some bad experiences at Lanes Cove and Old Garden Beach but nothing lately in last 2-3 years. While ago I've had lobstermen drop traps near/next to me at Lanes Cove, pull traps up at Old Garden Beach very close to me.

Overall, obey lobster guidelines and measure twice to be safe, anything questionable I throw back. Not worth the fine or risk.

Make sure you've got lobster numbers on your tanks AND dive flag visible. Carry your lobster license (keep in your car if shore diving or on boat). I used to go through trouble of laminating mine and keeping it in my drysuit pocket or save a dive kit; now I just keep it in my car while shore diving.

Most people won't willingly give up their favorite honey holes for lobstering but a lot of shore diving sites up in Cape Ann are good bets for lobstering; I like Old Garden Beach, Bass Rocks, Loblolly Cove, etc. Most will agree you'll have better luck if you have a boat at your disposable or go on some dive charters.

Have fun. :)

Back
Top Bottom