Article on tank rigging for sidemount diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have switched my tanks to right/left valves with the long stem opposite the valve shut off. I attach my clips 180 out of what you do and hook the bungee around the stem rather than the handle. This is the way Steve Martin teaches and several of my sidemount/cave instructors taught me. If you have valves with short stem then it has to go around the handle end. Thoughts?

[video=youtube;Y4rVj2t3-II]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4rVj2t3-II[/video]

I do like Steve... I tweak it a bit when using steel cylinders, which he doesn't seem to need according to his videos and what he's told me. I tried to do it like him, it just didn't work completely as I wanted to with the tanks I had.

However, I prefer that orientation for the valves much more than pointing down. (ie almost vertical and pointing up, rather than pointing down) What's the reason for that Doppler?

I do like Steve... I tweak it a bit when using steel cylinders, which he doesn't seem to need according to his videos and what he's told me. I tried to do it like him, it just didn't work completely as I wanted to with the tanks I had.

However, I prefer that orientation for the valves much more than pointing down. (ie almost vertical and pointing up, rather than pointing down) What's the reason for that Doppler?

I suggest handwheels pointing out and sideways not down... reason is easy operation. However, the method demoed in the video has obvious merit... time to experiment! LOL

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom