Tech gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well tbone, I hope I'm the exception. I know most of the other instructors (not that many of us) and not one I know "push" gear. We, myself included, will discuss the features of any gear (UTD or otherwise). And certainly AG would promote the positives of the gear he's developed, researched and discovered. I assume you know him, he's very passionate about diving. There is no, none, zip.....requirement to use only UTD gear for UTD courses.
Except one.....[emoji56]. Yes, the sidemount course. The manifold/distribution block is an integral part of the integration of UTD teams. This debate has been waged ad nauseum.

I do however, remember in the 90's being exposed to an other agency and its "pushing" H gear (not instructors but disciples). Although, at that time, that gear was the best gear to dive that way. Come to think of it....UTD gear is developed to work with it's way of diving....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a load of crap.

No need to be rude. I am just going by my experiences with this agency. I am glad that yours were different because every interaction I have had with a GUE member in person was not exactly pleasant but that is a topic for a different thread. In any case twice, my gear was scoffed at by GUE subscribers for lacking a blue H. I am not the only one that gets the impression that they push Halcyon either.

You might be confusing people who've taken a gue class with people who are gue instructors.

They are not the same.

No need to be rude. I am just going by my experiences with this agency. I am glad that yours were different because every interaction I have had with a GUE member in person was not exactly pleasant but that is a topic for a different thread. In any case twice, my gear was scoffed at by GUE subscribers for lacking a blue H. I am not the only one that gets the impression that they push Halcyon either.

And those are the type of people I like to call tosspots.

Interesting ... I've taken several NAUI Tech classes, a couple IANTD tech classes, and was cave trained through NSS-CDS. The gear requirements were essentially the same as GUE ... e.g. hogarthian-style backplate/wing, long hose reg set, blade fins ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

---------- Post added February 12th, 2015 at 03:05 PM ----------

First off, pretty much all instructors push specific brands of equipment ... that's because they work for a dive shop and part of the job is selling the shop's gear.

Second off, those GUE "members" you mentioned are most likely not real GUE divers at all ... but rather people who took a Fundies class, got a provisional rating, and are working hard to convince themselves that they're bad-ass. Several years ago we had a bunch like that around here. They'd sit out on the wall at our local training site and talk all loud about how everyone else was gonna kill themselves, snicker at the OW students getting into the water with their snorkels and split fins, and generally act like a bunch of adolescent boys pretending to be men. A dozen years later, only one of them is still diving ... and he matured into a reasonably decent human being. The others are all off trying to be "the best" at some other recreational activities now. Meanwhile, a whole bunch of those people they were snickering at have gone on to become pretty darn good divers. Ironically, quite a few of them ultimately ended up taking some level of GUE training ... because if you're gonna be serious about diving where I live, it's one of the better options for training.

The real GUE-trained divers I know are generally pretty nice people ... they might be a bit stand-offish about doing tech dives with you if you aren't part of their group, but it's because of how they were trained to dive as a team ... not because they think they're somehow better than you as a diver ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

In my GUE training, not once was it suggested there was anything wrong with my gear or that I replace any of it (none made by Halcyon) with Halcyon. Most the people I've personally met who've acted as you describe have no actual training from GUE. In conversation with them it turns out they're "planning" to take a class are basically internet DIR.

Hi Tickler, I am a GUE Member (Fundies) and would never scoff nor be rude about the gear you use and feel comfortable diving with. Most of my dive buddies in my area dive a normal rec setup and make fun of me for drinking the "koolaid" ha ha, with that said, I hope you don't put us all in the same bucket, and any questions you have I would be happy to answer at my level of training, Cheers!

It's unfortunate to still see these untruths and rumors perpetuated. There are exceptions that take every opportunity to pass on their opinions or what they believe is fact and gullible newbies take it as gospel. Best way to over come this, be nice, helpful and an ambassador of the sport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, I am confused....

I was of the understanding that some agencies say you must dive specific gear.

From what I am reading, that is just not the case.

Am I understanding right?

you are correct, I believe the only course that requires specific branded gear would be the UTD sidemount course, all of the others will have gear requirements but they will not be brand specific. Some instructors might have specific gear/brand requirements, but if they do you should find another instructor....

Back
Top Bottom