Lemon Sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would say 80+ sharks on one dive. I counted 62 on my video and I couldn't even record them all

No offense but that looks like a few sharks circling around, not 80+ sharks. When I make a claim on numbers it's the number of sharks I can see at one time at a given moment. Cool vid though.

I went out with Emerald on Friday to find a reported 100+ but we only found five in that area (who's to say we were in the right spot though). :(

No offense but that looks like a few sharks circling around, not 80+ sharks. When I make a claim on numbers it's the number of sharks I can see at one time at a given moment. Cool vid though.

I went out with Emerald on Friday to find a reported 100+ but we only found five in that area (who's to say we were in the right spot though). :(
Fish counts can be tricky. This is why researchers operate with a fixed protocol that tells the diver where he's supposed to look. The idea is to search a fixed volume of water and reduce the chance of repeatedly counting the same individuals.

This is one of the reasons I would like to see something like a recognition guide for individual sharks - could provide a clue as to how many are out there, as well as how many are being fed and whether it's significantly impacting their behavior.

---------- Post added January 26th, 2015 at 08:29 PM ----------

Just as a note, Capt Sl8r posted on their Facebook page that they'll be "teaming up" with JDC to do the lemon shark dives this season. I'm not sure what exactly said "teaming up" means, but they're pushing the "natural, no feeding" angle. Seem to be plenty of lemon sharks to go around, so why not.

Lemon Shark.jpg We are booking shark trips now! The Lemon sharks have moved in and we are also seeing high numbers of other shark species. Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions, we run our trips out of New Port Cove Marina, and have several sites scouted out for these dives, including both wreck and reef sites. Only the sharks know how long they will stay around this year, so don't delay. We have space available on our shark trip this Sunday, and don't worry you'll be back in plenty of time to still watch the big game! Thank you

Ocean Quest Scuba Charters 561-776-5974

We dive the our Lemon Drop site and other spots all year round and we have a up to 20 different sharks within our view during peak season. We can tell when we get a new individual since they all have different personalities. Right now we dive with approximately 10 -15 sharks at one time. To the naked eye they all look different but in very likely are group of 10 circling around since Lemon Sharks are very curious. Good video!

Lemons will be here until May. We are seeing Tigers now but March and April is Great Hammerhead season.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom