Which Resort on Grand Cayman?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Willar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We have a choice of staying at the following resorts: 7 Mile Beach Resort, Grand Caymanian Resort, Morritt’s Tortuga Club, The Reef Resort.

This is our first trip to GC but we've been around plenty of Caribbean islands. We want to dive several days but it's not just a dive trip. We do want an on-site dive op. One is an experienced diver, one new diver. We want to explore the island a bit, try local restaurants, hang out, relax, and do a few activities.

Which resort is best? Why?

Thanks for your advice!

Probably one of the first two.Especially since this isn't a dive focused trip.

7 Mile Beach Resort is north of Georgetown in the south SMB area. They have 7 Mile Watersports on-site for diving. It's also a very nice beach in that area IIRC. It's possible they might have a boat there - some of those operators have flat-bottom boats they beach for boarding - or else they'd likely shuttle you to a nearby marina. All the operators working in that area provide van pickups so you're not limited to using them. I suspect from your list that you are also but it's a timeshare property.

Grand Caymanian is a couple miles further north and - if it's the property I think it is - is on the North Sound at the south end of the Safehaven marina. IDK if they have an on-site operator but several keep their boats in the marina. From that area the Stingray City activities typically depart - many shops keep a boat there just for that. That would be a good dive for your new diver - a whole lot of fun that's only 15' deep. The Kittiwake is the new signature attraction nearby also - just about every dive operator on Cayman does it. It's off the west side just a little north? of there. Some of the boats in the marina also dive the North Wall from there - those are good dives also.

One other advantage is that just about every dive operator working that area has a free van pickup so if you're traveling with non-divers - they'd have use of the car.

Morritt's and the Reef are on the East End - about 45mins. drive from Georgetown. Both have on-site operators - either Tortuga Divers (Morritt's) or Tortuga/Silver Sands - they seem to be in transition apparently. There's only one food market out there afaik and very few local restaurants. Most shops/food stores/restaurants are either in Georgetown or along Seven Mile Beach - streetside behind the resorts in some areas there's small strip malls etc.

A lot of the non-dive stuff to do on Grand Cayman is either focused around the West Bay/NW Point area or Rum Point sort of mid-island north. Or in Georgetown. You can drive to Rum Point from Morritt's/the Reef - it's just a few miles. Or ferry over across the North Sound. Or drive around from the SMB area one day - about an hour each way.

That's great help! We were thinking 7 Mile Beach Resort for those reasons.

Regardless of where you stay, the non resort based operators generally provide very good service with big boats and small groups. They will pick up and drop off anywhere along SMB corridor.
We generally use Wall to Wall or DNS but there are a number of other quality operators as well. If you want to dive the north wall, the flat top boats don't go out there.

That's great help! We were thinking 7 Mile Beach Resort for those reasons.

If you were to stay at 7 MBR I'd go with any other operator beside the one on site..... Not even sure they still have a boat. Had a few friends/people I knew getting hired with a promise the boat would be back in the water in no time. They never saw it!! You will also have plenty of choice along 7mb for accommodation and as someone said, everyone would pick you up to go diving and pretty much no one will come to you by boat (with a few exceptions). They'd load you in a van and off to the dock you.

I just received an email reply from 7MBR dive shop. She said they don't have a boat so they take you out on another's boat and/or take you out for shore dives in their van.

How is shore diving around GCI? I've done plenty of shore dives in Bonaire so I'm not opposed to that.

Also, I found that Grand Caymanian is now the Holiday Inn Resort. Anyone had experience there?

I just received an email reply from 7MBR dive shop. She said they don't have a boat so they take you out on another's boat and/or take you out for shore dives in their van.

How is shore diving around GCI? I've done plenty of shore dives in Bonaire so I'm not opposed to that.

Also, I found that Grand Caymanian is now the Holiday Inn Resort. Anyone had experience there?

The holiday inn is on th other side of the 7miles stretch so you will def need a car so you can move around... It's over a mile along the golf course before you get to the main road. I would be ok for you but without a vehicle, your wife might get bored. It is typical holiday inn hotel.... ie, budget but quite nice. My parents stayed there when the visited me last year. The north sound doesn't have a great beach though and the water is green. Something similar on 7mb would be comfort suites or sunshine suite. Last one is on the other side of the road but the beach is 100 yards away... Literally! Shops are close by and u can catch a bus or cab.

shore diving on the popular side is easy. Go to a shop on the coastline. Rent what you need and go with a buddy. Sunset house, don fosters, divers down, light house point. Sun divers and cobalt coast are the ones with Operators on site where you'll get tanks from.

7mws hasn't had a boat in over 2 or 3 years....

Most of the shore dives in their van are likely someone else's property with on-site tanks so if 7Mile Diving is charging for that it's easy to DIY. The way it works on Cayman is the on-site resorts own to the waterline and most won't allow outside tanks to be transported across their property. They can't deny you access to the ocean but you get the idea. I don't exactly remember what we paid but it was reasonable.

In the NW Point/West Bay area there's 3 good options. Turtle Reef, Lighthouse Point and Cobalt Coast. Sundivers is at the first one, Divetech the other two for tanks etc. I like Turtle Reef, I'll dive it everytime I'm there. It would work for your newer diver also, there's easy stairs, a small cove to get oriented, then a short swim (40-50 yds.) out to the Mini-Wall. To the south is the Tarpon Cave - they're always there. Across the sand flats a considerable distance it's also possible to access the North Wall - more advanced diving. At one time Cobalt Coast offered tows out the the North Wall from their farther east location also so you could swim in. Never been to Lighthouse Pt. to dive.

Turtle Reef | Scuba Diving in West Bay | iDive Cayman

Shorediving - Cracked Conch Grand Cayman Ocean Front Seafood Restaurant and Tiki Bar
Grand Cayman scuba diving - Divetech

IMO most of the Georgetown area sites are a little tired - a lot of cruise traffic since they're walking distance from the port. Those include Eden Rock/Devils Grotto, Cheeseburger and Foster's reef - all are along the waterfront downtown. So is the cruise tender port - it's 500' from Eden Rock - IMO the worst dive we did all week. But shallow.

Although the Grotto can be excellent when the Silversides are in during early summer. Silversides in Devil's Grotto, Grand Cayman, June 2013 (colour) on Vimeo - the rest of the year it's you and the few tarpon that are left hoping...

Slightly farther south of town is Sunset House - Sunset House - George Town - Cayman Islands It's pretty optimized for shorediving - even has a Saltwater Pool that's open to the ocean on one side - your new diver could easily manage there. My Bar there is the divers bar.

A short drive past it is Smith's Cove - kind of a shallower site. No facilities so rent tanks at Eden Rock or Diver's Supply in town for it.

Great info!! Sounds like a good plan, we'll give that a try! Thanks!

We stay at condos on 7MB (Lacovia or Villas of the Galleon) both right on the beach. Great for non-divers and snorkelers it is a postcard beautiful beach. For diving, we use Don Fosters and although we rent a car, they do have a pick up service.

Plenty of choices for dining in the area within a walk, drive or taxi ride. We typically eat breakfast and lunch in then go out for dinner.

Enjoy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom