Dry Suit Boots or Socks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used attached boots and like it. My boots can be simple turn thoroughly inside-out.
To say true I never used socks, but few my friends just moved from socks to attached boots, so I even didn't check socks option.
I use the same Hollis F1 for dry suit boots and hard boots with wet suit.

Pyramid,
Snowed in and closed yesterday....give us a shout today.

Looking into a dry suit and one option is attached socks or boots...what are the pro's/cons of each?

Really depends on where you intend to dive. I predominantly boat dive... and I prefer turbo soles. Not really boots... not really socks.

218880.jpeg

104_0462.jpg

I have both. The advantage to the socks is that you can vary your footwear, and the legs of the suit are easier to turn inside-out if you need to dry them.

The advantages of an attached boot are that it CANNOT come off; you do not need to bend down and lace something up when you are encased in thick undergarments and not very mobile. You don't face the issue of lacing or fastening a boot tight enough so it will stay on, but not so tight that it compresses the insulation on your feet and you end up with cold, numb feet at the end of the dive. In addition, boots are more robust than socks, and most people can't resist that step or two in the parking lot with just the socks on.

Went with boots at first:

Advantages:

1. Can't forget the boots since they are attached.
2. Better protection than normal wetsuit boots

Disadvantages:
1. Don't necessarily fit as well as they usually only come in one type per drysuit
2. Can squeeze your boot badly if not equalized or used without thick socks.

After more experience, I have gone only to neoprene socks:

Advantages:
1, Wetsuit or special purpose boot selection flexibility for better fit.
2. Warmer - two layers of built in insulation, sock and wetsuit boot
3. Sock is protected by wetsuit boot
4. Easier and less costly to repair
5. More compact to pack

Disadvantages:
1. Need larger size than normal boot and fin
2. Can forget your boots

I personally hate thick socks (no matter whether diving, hunting, etc); I like as little between my feet and my shoes as possible, but that's what I use.

That said, socks are a PITA until you put boots on. They're pretty nice as they are easily turned inside out and they don't squeeze too bad in my very limited expensive.

I started with rock boots, but had trouble keeping my feet warm. I do a lot of cold water diving and a lot of ice diving. I then switched to Chuck Taylors and liked the lighter feel. I still use the Chuck Taylors if there is a lot of walking like on a shore dive. What I have switched to lately is a big croc style over shoe that I wear on the surface of the ice and then take them off and go with the socks alone when I am diving. I have found my feet stay a lot warmer with the extra room and air circulation. However, if I was going to do it all over again, and could afford 2 dry suits, One of them would be equipped with the turbo boots. I tried a buddies dive suit that had this option and my feet never stayed so warm. Even on the surface of the ice tending. I primarily frog kick,but notice if I tried the other style of finning it seemed awkward. another option if you're going to be cold water diving, have them put on extra large sock's on your drysuit. makes it easier to keep your feet warm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom