LGBTQ Divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ever since the meaning of tolerance was changed from something one puts up with but doesn't embrace, to total acceptance of same, a lot of "different" people have had their feelings hurt because although they say that want tolerance but they really want acceptance.

That's an interesting thought, AfterDark.

Have some of you been on dive boats that someone said something negative/positive or anything at all towards you about being Queer or LGBT ?
All the dive boats/trips I've been on no one really cared about anything but Diving.
Once again you make the assumption that people aren't hiding their sexuality. I suspect, in most cases, you're right. People simply don't care. But those of us in the majority (though I'm not straight I fall into that category as a man in a heterosexual marriage) don't have to worry about people accosting us just for being us. We don't "hide" our lives because we don't need to and we know we don't need to.

As I said many posts and several years ago, when the world truly doesn't make ANY issue about a person's sexuality, then it will be a better place. Until then, we need spaces that are integrated as well as those that are separated because, sometimes, you need one or the other.

AfterDark, I agree with you entirely about not caring and that a certain faction of people always want more than to be just left alone. They want acceptance and they're never going to get it.

Personally, I just want people to not be openly rude or violent towards someone different than themselves. You don't have to like my tattoos, or shaved legs and I don't have to like your hirsute nature. Neither of us should be rude to each other for such petty things though.

I still haven't found a decent LGBT club in the DC area. I'll keep poking my head around though. I like diving with mixed bags of people and an LGBT group just brings more mix to my mix of friends. I certainly don't need it and I could be perfectly happy on any dive boat but sometimes it's just plain fun.

It seems to me that maybe us breeders aren't good enough to hang with gays is that right? I'm sure I've dived with gay individuals I just couldn't tell ya who they are, nor do I care. Diving was a fraternity long ago it didn't matter what else one did, for divers being a diver was enough.

Ever since the meaning of tolerance was changed from something one puts up with but doesn't embrace, to total acceptance of same, a lot of "different" people have had their feelings hurt because although they say that want tolerance, they really want acceptance.

Do you know how many people are repulsed by my excessively hairy body? I have an idea because I've been told by some people. Do I care? F no! Why should I? I don't need to be accepted just left alone. Any gays want to dive NE PM me.

It is pretty hairy dude. Of course I make extra effort to avoid seeing any more of it than absolutely necessary.

It is pretty hairy dude. Of course I make extra effort to avoid seeing any more of it than absolutely necessary.

Witness

Have some of you been on dive boats that someone said something negative/positive or anything at all towards you about being Queer or LGBT ?
All the dive boats/trips I've been on no one really cared about anything but Diving.

Most divers are pretty quiet in the water. That's a good thing. On the boat and between dives are where it can be annoying or uncomfortable. Nothing like people cracking "fag" jokes because they don't realize you are gay. It's also pretty annoying to listen to guys try to act macho and talk about the women as if they were a package of meat at the supermarket.

Given the choice, I find hanging out with other GL divers to be more enjoyable. GL is for Gay and Lesbian. It's the short version of GLBTQI.

I've been on "straight" dive trips and I've been on gay and lesbian dive trips. A gay and lesbian trip is where most of the divers are gay and lesbian. That's not to say you would be kicked off the boat for being straight. The gay trips have been far more fun. I've met some fantastic folks who have become good friends thanks to those trips.

Unfortunately, the trip operator I went with has become addicted to high end trips to exotic places. I don't hold that against them, but I'm not going to spend $4K plus airfare to go blow bubbles in Borneo, or Egypt, or wherever the vogue exotic place is this week.

My local area should have a gay and lesbian dive club, but it's just not materialized. I decided earlier this year to start a national club so that I could stay connected with other gay and lesbian divers and put together trips that focused on good diving and reasonable costs. That site is PrideReef. The content will build over time. There are a bunch of us that are gay and lesbian who like to dive. Honestly, our issues are similar to the ones everyone else has.... but they are unique in their own way. At the core of it we all want good dives, safe dives, and a relaxing environment between dives.

P.S. - Yes I know I'm replying to an old thread... but someone resurrected it a couple of weeks ago. I read most of the thread before replying.

How do I avoid ending up on a boat with all these special alphabet letter people? I mean, they might make fun of me or crack a joke or something! I guess I could only go on boats with TDI people, or PADI, or NACD or...

---------- Post added February 3rd, 2015 at 12:28 AM ----------

Really, any discussion of "T" people should only be in the Tech forum because people shouldn't attempt that without extensive training and certification. And be prepared to spend a lot of money...

I guess it was just a matter of time that it was shoved into our reg sets. Why cant you just be a diver and leave you orientation at home. Personnally I don't give a crap if you are gay, straight, black, white, male female or anything else. Lets dive and leave it at that.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

A reminder that bigotry is not tolerated on ScubaBoard. Such a post, and all the responses to it have been deleted. Any further incursions into that territory could result in more invasive moderation up to and including suspension of board privileges. Please note the OP's question was about dive clubs for a particular group of people. In a no flame zone. Marg, SB Senior Moderator

I have a hard enough time finding "sidemount friendly" charters :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom