Advice for diving in florida for a West Coaster?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi everyone.
I am looking for advice for diving in Florida. I have the opportunity to be in Florida for a 1-3 weeks. I can stay free/cheap in Sarasota, but what I am gathering is there is not so much diving there. Any day trips nearby? Otherwise I am thinking about driving to the keys.
So I am asking for advice for locations worth going to in Florida. I am thinking about a drive to Key West for fun.

Seems like Rainbow Reef charters in Key Largo would be a good option.

My needs/wants: I am a proficient recreational diver. I am certified sidemount and AOW, nitrox, etc, etc. Basically most certifications below technical. I value good, cheap diving. So cheap hotel recommendations or package deals are great. I am thinking/looking for dive charters because it sounds like not so much shore diving in Florida, and in the past I have had difficult finding diving buddies.

Thanks everyone

Hey Brain, glad to see you are still with us!

My son and I did a 20 dive week with Rainbow reef last May, deeper wrecks and shallower reefs. Worth the drive for you. Tad warmer than Monterey :)

We did 1 drift dive in Jupiter with Jupiter Dive Center before heading to KL, saw my 1st ever shark(s), lots of turtles, but the weather did not cooperate to do what we wanted before heading south. Definitely the place for big stuff though I am told.

Thanks everyone for the tips. timeline is late march, early March. What kind of water temps am I looking at for the wreck diving off of Key Largo for instance?

If you're going to be around for a bit, why not hit multiple spots? Jupiter for turtles and big fish, Keys for reefs and wrecks, and maybe get in some shore dives at Blue Heron and Lauderdale to round things out?

I am thinking about there very thing, money permitting. Any advice on cheap place to stay once I am out of Key Largo (like in Jupiter or Key West?). I am planning on the cheap-y room at the Pelican for Key Largo time.

Anyone done any snorkeling, diving, or kayaking at the john pennekamp state park? Thoughts?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom