HUmboldt Explorer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike jj

owi
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Has anyone been on the explorer in the last 6 months? All the reviews I've read are from several years ago.

Thanks Mike

Mike,

I set up an account for this discussion board for the sole purpose of replying to your posting. I was on the Humboldt Explorer the first week of January 2015. Please, please, please contact me BEFORE booking a trip on this boat. I had a poor experience on this boat, and you should know what you're getting into with them before you pay $4600 for a week on the Humboldt Explorer.

Care to share your experience?

I would be interested to hear the report as well. I book a lot of folks on the Explorer Ventures ships and have never had a bad report. I'm sure EV would be interested in the report as well if the issues have not already been conveyed to them. I work closely with EV and they have always gone above and beyond to address any concerns, unlike some other fleets I book.

Update:
I've been in contact with the boat operator. They have recieved the feedback from my experience on the boat, are taking it very seriously and have already taken action to ensure that future trips are up to their usual high standard. I've been told that most of the issues that my group experienced have already been addressed and the trips after mine have been successful. From what they say, it sounds like many of the factors were flukes that all seemed to unfortunately happen in the same week. I believe they are genuine when they say this. I just wish I had been on what they describe is their typical high level of service trip, and what other users on this forum have experienced.

I dove off this boat in October of last year. It wasn't horrible, I had a great time, and I've only ever been on a liveaboard that one time, but it wasn't nearly as nice as I expected. Others who've done many liveaboards said this was ok at best.

The boat was in mediocre shape for it's age. The bathrooms were spacious for a liveaboard I'm told, but the plumbing was constantly having issues (mainly shower drains). The windows in the rooms were kinda gross IMO (flithy). Very few of the crew spoke english, so that was an issue for our American group. The food was ok. I'm not picky, so I didn't have issues. Some of our pickier guests weren't happy with the food, though we had vegetarians for whom they made special meals each night which I thought was very accommodating. Some crew members were great, others not so much. The crew leader was great, so that helped.

They only had 4# weights, so getting your weight correct and balanced was annoying, you ended up being off balance or overweighted. We had an issue with foul tasting nitrox at one point, but it was addressed. Some people complained that the gear was thrown around a bit too much. I never had anything broke or damaged, and I dive long hoses.

I'm all about the diving, so as long as the diving is good and safe, and the food is at least passable, I'm good. I felt the weight issue was a safety concern that needed to be addressed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom